GB Feeler: A3/S3 8L Quattro Bilstein B8 Dampers

DPM

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Website
www.dpmperformance.co.uk
Just been speaking to Bilstein and we've been wondering if anyone would be interested in another GB for the Bilstein B8 dampers for the A3 8L Quattro and S3 8L?

They're normally £549 a set plus postage so we'd be looking to get them at around £450 all in for 5 or more people.

Yeh, can count me in. Better try and not spend my pennies on anything else!

could be a possibility here although after xmas would be better for me

Me as well! Tho I PM'ed you about a quote for it yesterday I think :meeting:

Thing is, I am not due back till after Chrimbo so I would pay you the dosh and then when I come back you can fit it. Dont be going bust with the credit crunch if it is a go'er! :o.k:

So thats 2 (possibly 3) then right?

With what springs???? And when would we get them???

Pete...

Right, so the definate list is...

MintyS3
bl 1969
colinra

As soon as we have 2 more definite names we can get this going as we have them in stock and ready for dispatch.

Damian @ DPM

Well just need to let me know when ur doing it for sure as this thread started off as a feeler not a definite order lol

What's everyone waiting for? Get to the choppa already, jeez...

:tumble:

I am interested too but what about springs? I would be wanting those too :)

<tuffty/>

Whoa!! H&R prices have gone bonkers!!! they were £185 not so long back... Damn the credit crunch!!!

Think I may go for a B12 kit instead :(

<tuffty/>

oooh im tempted but dont think ill get the benefit out of them to warrant the cash - unless someone can tell me different..... am i right in saying i'll need tie bars for the rear too?

Also whats diff between H&R pro springs and the expensive ones?

yes i think those are the ones, whats likely to be the diff?...i gather these are a set of 4 too? you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge, never considered doing susp before as dont really hammer it on corners - fear of not knowing whats around the bend and also of spending money that could go towards my next car

Is a group buy on B12's possible? Aren't they B8 dampers with Bilstien springs?

<tuffty/>

yes i think those are the ones, whats likely to be the diff?...i gather these are a set of 4 too? you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge, never considered doing susp before as dont really hammer it on corners - fear of not knowing whats around the bend and also of spending money that could go towards my next car

Yeah they come in a full set of 4 and they're a very similar spring to the H&R, the H&R are slightly lighter though.

Damian @ DPM

cheers Damian, i think ill pass at the moment.... if im going to need tie bars, new bushes (as mine are on their way), shocks and springs.....and maybe a rear arb.... its gonna end up costing over a grand which i dont feel ill get the use of

thanks anyway

Whats the difference performance wise between the B12's and B8's with Eibach and B8's with H & R springs?

The B8's are a thicker damper to the ones in the B12 kit and the Eibach springs are a lot better in terms of quality, handling and comfort then the Apex that come with the B12 kits.

Damian @ DPM

Do you have an idea of the 'settled' lowering height of the Eibachs? Experience with this type of damper/spring in the past have never lived up to the claimed 'lower by XXmm' and have ended up with coilovers to get the right look. I am not after slammed but do need it to look right (I am a tart!!). I have fitted Eibach springs to my old A4 that actually lowered the rear more than the front and made it look more like an old skool rally car!!!.

My rear camber on my car seems to be a lot more than most I have seen which makes me think its got low factory springs fitted (the rears have 5 paint dots) and I have a concern that fitting this kit will not actually lower my car at all... (although handling will be better no doubt)

Soz for the waffling on but just trying to get an idea of what to expect before commiting a wedge of cash :)

Ta

<tuffty/>

From the 4 different sets of springs you referer to Damian, which would you point out to be the best. Meaning which set have the best comfort compared to OEM and which are the least harsh over bumps yet firm and communicative...

Did that make sense at all...:blink:

:think:

The most comfortable out of the 4 are the Weitec's, the best all round i would say either the H&R or the Eibach (I use to say H&R all day long but they are very expensive now-a-days).

Hope this helps,

Damian @ DPM

Daft question, do the B8's lower the car at all as they're shorter. Ive got eibach springs on the car now, and cant afford for it to go any lower.
cheers

The Bilstein B8's will match the Eibach springs you have on now better then what the standard dampers will as they'll always be slightly compressed to match the shorter spring.

Damian @ DPM