Swaping steering wheel

atc

Reaction score
How hard is it to swap the steering wheel on an A3. Obviously its got an airbag and I don't want the little fu#ker going off in my face! I'm happy to put another Audi unit in, mines just a bit tired. I'd also like to swap the gear knob as thats showing signs of age too.

Fairly easy, I've done few few wheels, never disconnected battery either, but if you're concerned then disconnect a leg on battery, at rear are 2 torx bolts, have to turn wheel slightly of centre to get behind easier so not in way of the stalks, then undo 2 bolts & then pull it slowly forward, there will be a cable connected to the slip ring, unclip this & possibly a ground wire & then airbag of, undo the wheel with a large spline socket, make sure you do not & its important do not move the slip ring thats behind the wheel, if have to put tiny bit of tape on the ring until new wheel in place then remove, make sure when doing the wheels are dead straight & centre, then do reverse, the spline bolt needs a good tighten when new one on.

But fairly easy overall.

Ok if yer wanna follow the pied piper, then yes disconnect the battery, god u & your encyclopedia, lol

(He is right the manual says it) But I've done it many a time without doing this.

likewise, just don't have the key in the ignition (or the car if your really paranoid)

airbags on parked cars don't go off when in crashes
changed mine numerous times without battery disconnection.

what steering wheel can you put on? ive found a 2007 plate one but I think they are dual stage airbags or something? need something to replace mine in my 1997 1.8.