Im thinking of modding

HEKTOR

Reaction score
i have decided to keep hold of my s3 and want to mod it, what ahnd where can i either get the work done and source the parts, and which are the best parts for the job?

im looking for 400bhp or more.

engine what do i need, what are the best parts?

brakes what are the best?

suspension what is the best?

and anything else i might need?

see the stickies at the top of the forum for Stars testing...this will answer most of your questions..... as you arenyt asking for a small answer!!!

400bhp.....research a big turbo upgrade..... if your prepared to spend a few thousand, if you arent? then your ******** if you want this figure

i have decided to keep hold of my s3 and want to mod it, what ahnd where can i either get the work done and source the parts, and which are the best parts for the job?

im looking for 400bhp or more.

engine what do i need, what are the best parts?

brakes what are the best?

suspension what is the best?

and anything else i might need?

Buy yourself a new car with that sort of power and save yourself a lot time, money, and effort. And you'll end up with a car that's drivable day-to-day without all the hassle. 400bhp in an S3 is a sh!t load of work and not the nicest thing to live with.

Buy yourself a new car with that sort of power and save yourself a lot time, money, and effort. And you'll end up with a car that's drivable day-to-day without all the hassle. 400bhp in an S3 is a sh!t load of work and not the nicest thing to live with.

i dont mind the money or the effort, it will be a bit of a project, i had a fairly crazy impreza and that was my daily drive and wasnt to bad to live with. the s3 having leather and air con shouldnt be to bad, maybe easier to live with.

i dont mind the money or the effort, it will be a bit of a project, i had a fairly crazy impreza and that was my daily drive and wasnt to bad to live with. the s3 having leather and air con shouldnt be to bad, maybe easier to live with.

After coming from a big turbo S3, take my advice and avoid the heart-ache. It will never feel like the it has the power figures and will always be slower than a similar powered evo or scoob. The gearbox is too limiting for big numbers and the chassis is pants. And no, they're not nice to live with even with leather and air con. It seems that a lot of people look to sell their BT S3 soon after it's completed. Most are dissapointed. For the money you need to sink into the suspension, brakes, chassis mods, engine, etc, you can by a B5 RS4 and have the performance out of the box. If you're going to do it, do it because you really want the S3 to have big numbers, don't do it because you expect it to be faster than some jap crap. And make sure you have a second car for when it needs fixing.

And if you are serious, then the twin-scroll unit from JBS is about the best for that amount of power. Don't expect much change out of £8k once its fitted and mapped.

For an ultimate 'on-road' S3 you're much better off (and faster in most situations) with a hybrid k04 and a tubular mani.

drivers are to$$ers! wouldnt touch them unless u want severely ripped off!!!!

After coming from a big turbo S3, take my advice and avoid the heart-ache. It will never feel like the it has the power figures and will always be slower than a similar powered evo or scoob. The gearbox is too limiting for big numbers and the chassis is pants. And no, they're not nice to live with even with leather and air con. It seems that a lot of people look to sell their BT S3 soon after it's completed. Most are dissapointed. For the money you need to sink into the suspension, brakes, chassis mods, engine, etc, you can by a B5 RS4 and have the performance out of the box. If you're going to do it, do it because you really want the S3 to have big numbers, don't do it because you expect it to be faster than some jap crap. And make sure you have a second car for when it needs fixing.

And if you are serious, then the twin-scroll unit from JBS is about the best for that amount of power. Don't expect much change out of £8k once its fitted and mapped.

For an ultimate 'on-road' S3 you're much better off (and faster in most situations) with a hybrid k04 and a tubular mani.

thanks for the advice, if i were to go for something like the hybrid k04 i assume i would still be looking at a engine rebuild?what sort of power is achievable from this sort of set up?

You only really need to start thinking about internals at about 350bhp / 330 lbs-ft. A hybrid will put you on the torque limit, but the power should be down to about 315bhp so it will be safe enough. You will eat the clutch with that amount of torque., although the rest of the engine should be able to cope. Valve stem seals can be an issue and give you some smoking, and if you want to run without a limiter I'd advise on a decent set of valves.

To put a hybrid into perspective, it will spool up about 750rpm quicker than a conventional BT, and although a normal BT will give 330-375bhp the torque is often down at about 310-320 lbs-ft; so faster top end, but the hybrid will get you there quicker. Also, if you want a genuine 400+bhp, you need to look at re-boring to 1.9-2.1l otherwise you'll be in lag nirvana.

jbs k04-05 turbo seems to be the one to go for they quote they reckon the turbo is good for around 340bhp with a decent tubular manifold 3 inch down pipe fmic injectors and full stage 3 mapp should save you around 4k to above mentioned turbo, should be all good on standard internals too, then get some billy shocks h+r springs h+r roll bars, brembo jr brakes up front and should be a cool little car, this is what im aiming to get out of mine

You only really need to start thinking about internals at about 350bhp / 330 lbs-ft. A hybrid will put you on the torque limit, but the power should be down to about 315bhp so it will be safe enough. You will eat the clutch with that amount of torque., although the rest of the engine should be able to cope. Valve stem seals can be an issue and give you some smoking, and if you want to run without a limiter I'd advise on a decent set of valves.

To put a hybrid into perspective, it will spool up about 750rpm quicker than a conventional BT, and although a normal BT will give 330-375bhp the torque is often down at about 310-320 lbs-ft; so faster top end, but the hybrid will get you there quicker. Also, if you want a genuine 400+bhp, you need to look at re-boring to 1.9-2.1l otherwise you'll be in lag nirvana.

does it matter that my engine is BAM code?i was told the internals are good for 300bhp were as the older engines are 350bhp rated is this true?

would i be worth while doing an engine rebuild using forge components, re-boring and so on?i want power and reliability, im still going to use this as my daily driver.

does it matter that my engine is BAM code?i was told the internals are good for 300bhp were as the older engines are 350bhp rated is this true?

would i be worth while doing an engine rebuild using forge components, re-boring and so on?i want power and reliability, im still going to use this as my daily driver.

The first series of 210 engines had 20mm gudgeon pins, the AMK and BAM engines had 19mm pins. They're all good for about the same amount of power. Torque and high rpms seem to be the main destroyers of the 1.8t rather that outright power alone.

So no, it's not really worth rebuilding as you'll probably introduce more problems than it fixes. IMO ofcourse. There's not really anything worthwhile in Glasgow in terms of tuning places, but I'd recommend having a chat with Jim at Star Performance in Kirkcaldy.

The first series of 210 engines had 20mm gudgeon pins, the AMK and BAM engines had 19mm pins. They're all good for about the same amount of power. Torque and high rpms seem to be the main destroyers of the 1.8t rather that outright power alone.

So no, it's not really worth rebuilding as you'll probably introduce more problems than it fixes. IMO ofcourse. There's not really anything worthwhile in Glasgow in terms of tuning places, but I'd recommend having a chat with Jim at Star Performance in Kirkcaldy.

nice one thats put a few things straight, thanks for the info. i'll give star performance a call cheers again