QST S3 RS4 conversion

FazS3

Reaction score
Just thought would get some thoughts from you lads regarding this beast!what you lads reckon this kinda 1 off motor is worth?and do you believe maintenance would be an issue with such a conversion?any opinions are welcome
Faz

Isn't there only one silver example of this car about running full RS4 engine and transmission, so has Torsen diff as opposed to Haldex? Is it up for sale, or do you mean a complete conversion from scratch again??
Maintenance would be standard RS4 servicing schedules, even with uprated power, you would just do the oil change more regularly to keep things in check.

Isn't there only one silver example of this car about running full RS4 engine and transmission, so has Torsen diff as opposed to Haldex? Is it up for sale, or do you mean a complete conversion from scratch again??
Maintenance would be standard RS4 servicing schedules, even with uprated power, you would just do the oil change more regularly to keep things in check.
yes thats the very car im talking about the one done by kim collins!its owned by a mate,was just speaking to him other day regarding it,i just wanted to get some opinions,i know the rs4 engine is very reliable but with such a conversion would the s3 chassis be able to with stand it?also what kinda money is this car worth because it is stil seen as a 8L S3 be it a special one!

Silver, I swear it was aston dark green from when I was there, not I'd ever go back.

Well would seem from the net it was silver, so his work colleague was full of ***** when asked which one it was in front of shop.

lol no one with thoughts and opinions!??!?!COME ON YOU LADS

yes thats the very car im talking about the one done by kim collins!its owned by a mate,was just speaking to him other day regarding it,i just wanted to get some opinions,i know the rs4 engine is very reliable but with such a conversion would the s3 chassis be able to with stand it?also what kinda money is this car worth because it is stil seen as a 8L S3 be it a special one!

How long was your chat with the mate who now owns this car? IIRC, the complete RS4 transmission was customised to make it fit into the S3, including all the suspension parts, and the front wings needed to be stretched a little to allow for the engine to fit! I doubt much of the 8L S3 running gear is left , only in the looks department, so a proper customised Job. If it was easy, why haven't we seen a few more RS4 engined S3's out on the road? Kim Collins obviously did it to prove a point that it could be done, and he could do it, think there was a mention of 400 man hours or something silly that went into that project also.... still want to do it? :uhm:

FazS3 just wants to know how much he should pay for it, not build another one.....correct?

Yes, you are probably right, think the current owner paid around £30k for it, or at least that's what it was up for sale at a few years ago I think. Offer him 10grand and see what he says. :eyebrows:

If it means going back to Kim then I'll pass on any offer, lol

Jojo I'm disappointed in you, you run out of mushrooms already, you've gone all serious lately no little one liners I've seen, lost your sense of humoussssss, lol

TBH, I'd just go out and buy a B5 S4 and fit rs4 or rs6 turbos to it. After looking at MRCs website, I'm so tempted.

On the other hand if you really are after somthing unique then this car would be good fun if the conversion has been performed well, which it sounds like it has.

Hard to put a price on these things. The seller will not want to loose out, and you just have to ask yourself how much you want it.

Yes he's back, back again, tell a friend, yes he's back yes he'a back yes he's back..............................................

FazS3 just wants to know how much he should pay for it, not build another one.....correct?
Straight to the point!

Yes, you are probably right, think the current owner paid around £30k for it, or at least that's what it was up for sale at a few years ago I think. Offer him 10grand and see what he says. :eyebrows:

No it was i think £23k but the car has hardly bin driven since he has had it,and when i say hardly driven its showin 23k on the clock with the engine having done 2k less then that!!HE does have about another 5 cars though and he doesnt really see it as an everyday car!where on the other hand i am using mine as an everyday car so wanted some opinions on how you lads would think this car would be on a day to day basis!He has said to me the steering rack may need changing,it is fitted with a quick rack??anybody can enlighten me on this?

I wouldn't recommend having a converted car as an everyday car unless you are handy with a spanner and have an idea of the conversion.

My last car was a converted Corsa (no comparison to what your talking about obvioulsy) but its a pain in the *** when things go wrong as lots of stuff is bespoke plus if you can't fix it yourself (or can't be assed) then no where wants to touch them.

Im sure the car is quick in a straight line but, i cant imagine it will handle very well. The standard S3 takes alot to get it handling so all that extra weight of the RS4 lump out front really isnt gonna help matters.

I think it's a nice machine for weekend use really, it's such a oneoff, I would be annoyed if I damaged it to be honest. How much does he want for it? :eyebrows::)

It is definitely Silver - Kim took me for a ride in it when mine was in being chipped. Unbelievably fast in a straight line, but it was still 'work in progress' so the suspension hadn't been properly sorted out.

just buy it it'll be wicked, sure it would handle well if they have spent 400 hours doing the conversion then the suspension should have been well sorted its not like they have scrimpped on any other areas of the vehicle. it shoud be as reliable as a normal s3 s4 really if the conversion is as good as supposed to be, do it, your regret it later other wise like i have done in the past with certin cars

it has face lift lights, whats wrong with pre-facelift every one seems to not like them on here

Kev i think its a matter of preference mate, i had a pre facelift prior to this and defo think this is a big improvement, it isnt just the dash and lights.... little details down to the overhead lighting and roof handles appears to have been upgraded..... not to mention loads of other stuff...... guess its a case of whats important to ya mate

Kev i think its a matter of preference mate, i had a pre facelift prior to this and defo think this is a big improvement, it isnt just the dash and lights.... little details down to the overhead lighting and roof handles appears to have been upgraded..... not to mention loads of other stuff...... guess its a case of whats important to ya mate
ah didnt no the inside was that much different to i knew the centre of the dash was diffferet to, well i have pre-facelift and is good for me not that i have any choice now lol, atleast my tax is cheeper:moa:

Wow is all i can say about that!

Who cares if its a pre facelift! Its the engine id be bothered about!

Jason

well like i say jason, it depends on what your after..... i dont hate the pre face lift, i lived with 1 for 6 years with my T plate 1.8T!!!! but would i go back? no i wouldnt but thats my personal preference..... yours is engines - would you buy an Audi 80 with your engine JUST because it has your engine? i doubt it (unless your going to defy me on purpose:jester:)

Jas, its the difference between sitting on an Argos sofa and a DFS jobby...worth paying the extra for:lmfao:.....rock on the facelifts haha

no one's mentioned anything about the rediculous understeer that heavy lump will cause.. but my god it would be awesome still..

if it was me with the opportunity, id take it up.. one of those things in life you have to do, if it ends up being too much.. im sure half of the lads on here would look into taking it off your hands. i know i would.

Jas, its the difference between sitting on an Argos sofa and a DFS jobby...worth paying the extra for:lmfao:.....rock on the facelifts haha
i have a sofa from argos and its the most comfortable sofa i have ever sat in :whistle2:

no one's mentioned anything about the rediculous understeer that heavy lump will cause.. but my god it would be awesome still..

if it was me with the opportunity, id take it up.. one of those things in life you have to do, if it ends up being too much.. im sure half of the lads on here would look into taking it off your hands. i know i would.
think thats what most people must be refering to with the handling, but as it has the s4 subframe and susspension gubbins along with coilovers, i would have thought it should handle as well as a coilovered a4/s4, plus it has the s4 quattro set up not the haldex rubbish

alright lads seems like there bin a lot of activity on this one!handling wise the car is sorted and it handles well!it is a preface lift but has the face lift lights, so i am not too bothered about that.its not something i want to miss out on but just dont know what it is worth,i know people will say it is worth what someone will pay for it,its an awesome car this probably the biggest decision of my short life lol and i love my current s3!!I have thought about the 8P but doesnt appeal to me as much,what you guys think about the value of the motor?21k on the engine and the body has covered 23k i am soo tempted its unbelievable!