Audi A3 1.6 2000 gear knob?

sHOIKAW

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm from denmark, and i need at gear knob for my car.
I have tried to fitting a S-Line. But the connection is not smilair as my old one.
What original gear knob/gaiter do i need for my car?
I hate the stock one, so i will prefer another S-Line or S3 series.

Regards Mads, Denmark

IMG_0020.jpg

The fitment on the 1.6 gear-knob is different to that on the 1.8, 1.8T, 1.8TQ, S3 (which are all the same)...

There may be some similar fitment ones from Golfs? I'm not certain though.

Your only other option is aftermarket...

Regards,

Rob.

The fitment on the 1.6 gear-knob is different to that on the 1.8, 1.8T, 1.8TQ, S3 (which are all the same)...

There may be some similar fitment ones from Golfs? I'm not certain though.

Your only other option is aftermarket...

Regards,

Rob.

But i guy from this forums manage to fit the excact same gear knob the i just buyed.
dscn1133yo6.jpg

i have the excact same midterconsole and gearknob. But my knob has a hole different mounting system.

Please help me!

I need some replys, please somebody.
Help me

I know this is a old thread but I did this mod recently. Looks exactly like the picture so no point in posting another. The facelift gaiter frame is smaller so you have to pull both gaiters off of their frames and mate the new one to the old larger frame. Soak the bottom of the new gaiter in hot water for a while and the leather softens up allowing you to stretch it over the larger frame. I couldnt re-staple the gaiter to the frame as the staples in my gun kept crumpling when I tried to shoot them in. Instead I drilled a series of small holes and stitched the leather to the frame. It's a bit of a hassle but its completely worth it afterwards :thumbsup:

Is that a 5 speed or 6 speed gear knob? I have an a3 8l 1.8t and would love something a bit oem+ instead of the original one.

Do you what its from? Will it fit my 8l a3? Cheers :)

Cheers mate, ill be on the lookout for a 5 speed one for my a3. mine is a pre facelift model, im assuming that the how to guide you have in that link is the same?

Im assuming this will fit :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1388625251825.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388625251825.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 198
Cheers mate, ill be on the lookout for a 5 speed one for my a3. mine is a pre facelift model, im assuming that the how to guide you have in that link is the same?

Just to let you know, it won't fit directly. Mine is also a Pre-facelift, read through what I wrote above, all the newer style gear knobs are for facelift models onwards and the gaiter frame for those are smaller than our facelift ones. You will have to use the old frame on the new gaiter as I have described above. Also look at the listing, its 2000-2003 models = Facelift.

Also worth mentioning that the gear knob you've found on ebay isn't going to look like the picture above. The one you've shown listed is a lower spec one possibly a knock off. The one in the picture is grey and the leather is a bit more plush giving a more perforated look :o.k:

Yeah I dont intend to buy rhe one I pictured as its far to cheap to be any good lol, was just using it as a reference. Is it hard to fit the new gaiter to the old frame? I understand you heated it with hot water but how easy was it to do all in all. Cheers mate

Well you have to be able to do basic hands on work, its not too hard. While the leathers softening, drill little holes through the frame (where the staples were just as a guide). Then once you've stretched the leather over the frame its all about patience while you stitch it together, up to you what method you choose, I used a thicker than normal thread and made sure it was on tight, may not be neat but it cant be seen. Its also worth mentioning that the staples come out quite easily with a flat head screwdriver but just be careful not to rip into the leather.