haldex leak

barters3

Reaction score
i have just orded the bits to change the haldex oil and filter. i thought while it was dry i would quickly jack the car up and have a look at it before i do the work next weekend.
I noticed fresh oil around the haldex unit, it looks like its been leaking from a black plastic tube where the tube connects to the metal unit. the plastic tube also has wires going to it. iv had a quick search on google and looked at a diagram and as far as i can tell this tube connects to the pump unit. i did not want to pull it off incase more oil poured out! i have pushed it on further and degreased the whole area and i will check it over the next few days to see if it continues to leak. sorry about the long winded post, i would be grateful if anybody can help.

i have just orded the bits to change the haldex oil and filter. i thought while it was dry i would quickly jack the car up and have a look at it before i do the work next weekend.
I noticed fresh oil around the haldex unit, it looks like its been leaking from a black plastic tube where the tube connects to the metal unit. the plastic tube also has wires going to it. iv had a quick search on google and looked at a diagram and as far as i can tell this tube connects to the pump unit. i did not want to pull it off incase more oil poured out! i have pushed it on further and degreased the whole area and i will check it over the next few days to see if it continues to leak. sorry about the long winded post, i would be grateful if anybody can help.

do you know when the oil was last changed and by whom?if i remember correctly when my diff oil was changed on my impreza it made a mess and the subaru machanic didnt bother to clean the area and this made me think the was a leak,this may be the problem.other than that mate im no use sorry. good luck getting it sorted

It definatly hasnt been changed recently,and it is a new leak because i would have noticed it when the car was up on the lift recently.the thing is iv looked through my service history which was all audi servicing and i can see no record of the haldex being serviced,and the car has done 90000,so a litle worrying.im going to see if the leak has stoped then il do the oil and filter next wkend.

my audi a3 sportback 3.2 dsg quattro had a leak from the haldex , fixed under warranty also same leak from dsg box also fixed on warranty . if it ever happens again i will be mad , how hard is it to make something that dont leak , i got my car new in 2005 nov and had a few problems but they offer me warranty for extra year 2009 till 2010 for £500 as they are paying £1000 towards it (£1500) is it worth it , just scared if the dsg box went or something very expensive

I thought I had a leak but it was a top up oil bottle that had leaked in the boot, There is a grommet in the boot above the haldex and it ran down onto it. Didn`t even know the bottle was there lol

I have a bottle of oil in the boot, i wish it was just that, but it isnt! I have found that the pump on the haldex unit is the bit that is leaking however it is only a slight seep and not enough to worry aboout at the moment. I am sourcing another pump which is £290+vat from audi or £240+vat from vag parts. I managed to find a second hand one on ebay which i got for £35 however i havent recieved it yet and i cant get hold of the seller so im hoping i havent been ripped off!!