just been quoted £495 extra for 1.8t sport...

xdam

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've just been quoted an extra £495 to go from my 1.6 A3 to a 1.8 T Sport, when i turn 21 next month. I was wondering is it worth me selling my car to get the 1.8t and will i really notice the difference alot? I'm guessing so but I would like someone to confirm it as it would be a fair bit of hassle off loading my car to get a another A3.

Also can anyone give me any indication of what my A3 is worth? So I know what i've got to play with for the new motor...

Audi A3 (1999 - V Reg)
1.6, 85k miles, 19" RS style alloys (should i save these? i've seen other styles i really like), excellent condition, clear side repeaters, lowered 30mm (pi springs), sony xplod SON-CDXM8800 mp3 player (leaving this in because i want a dvd player with screen), that's about it, here's the pictures...

a3-4.jpg

a3-5.jpg

b_cdxm8800.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
xdam said:
I was wondering is it worth me selling my car to get the 1.8t and will i really notice the difference alot?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a huge difference!! No offence meant, but the 1.6 is COMPLETELY gutless.. no acceleration force whatsoever... The 1.8T is MUCH MUCH quicker than the 1.6. It will also handle better (maybe not better than yours now, but in standard form) the brakes will be much better (although still crap in anything more than 1 highspeed corner) and ALOT more tunable!

Go for it matey! you wont regret it! Push to a T Quattro if you can afford it.

Rich

thanks for posting rich, i'll keep my eyes open for a quattro, guess i'll have to phone and get another quote /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

does anyone know if insurance on (low end) s3 is much more?

As a guide I would guess your A3 is worth somewhere between 5-6K private, obviously a lot less if you trade it in. The HU and alloys won't add a great deal to the price.. and I'd recommend ripping them out an replacing them with the originals.

A3TS start around 7K /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif so you'll have to find some money from somewhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
cybrey said:
As a guide I would guess your A3 is worth somewhere between 5-6K private, obviously a lot less if you trade it in. The HU and alloys won't add a great deal to the price.. and I'd recommend ripping them out an replacing them with the originals.

A3TS start around 7K /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif so you'll have to find some money from somewhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif and i have some pocket money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Go for the T Sport, you will NOT regret it!

I had a courtesy car (1.6) the other week, and it wasn't a patch on the Golf TDi (100bhp) I've just sold. Before that I had T Sport which was a great car!!!

I don't know how much extra insurance you'd expect to pay for S3, my advice would be to go for T Sport for now.

No comparison - 1.8T is a different league.

Where do you 20 year olds get your money from? - I was still having to put up with Morris 1000s and Metros at that age, (and it was not that long ago!)

[ QUOTE ]
Ju said:
Where do you 20 year olds get your money from? Selling ourselves... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Ju said:
Where do you 20 year olds get your money from?

[/ QUOTE ]

Selling ourselves... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Not bad mate, but I thought from reading on another forum you wanted a TT or a BMW?

If you had your heart set on another car it will never be right to get the T Sport, but if you do get one they are in another league.

[ QUOTE ]
Markb said:
Not bad mate, but I thought from reading on another forum you wanted a TT or a BMW?

If you had your heart set on another car it will never be right to get the T Sport, but if you do get one they are in another league.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey mark,

the tt's fallen on it's **** since the cheapest insurance quote i can get is just over £4k /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif an e46 coupe is still an option but everyomne i'm asking is telling me the 1.9 (the only one i can get insured on) doesnt perform well at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif so a 1.8t is looking good for the money really, but i have a month before i'm 21 so theres plenty of time to consider my options.

My colleague is trying to flog me his Green 99V 1.8t Quattro Sport 180ps for £8000 almost 80k on the clock.

So i did insurance thing, and was about £200 cheaper for me to insure than a S3. £100 cheaper than a 150bhp 20VT golf tho.

Thats as a 23 y/o Company Director with one years no claims on egg.com and similar on tesco.com.

Dunno if you can base it on that, as i haven't wrecked a car yet (touch wood) Or if ur interested in the Quattro Sport i can pass on a message.

Sorry, but it kills me every time I read 'director' and hear people's stated job descriptions - We had 'directors' like them too when I were a lad, we called 'em 'self employed' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Mother, is Hovis ready fur'tea?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
4SilverRings said:
Sorry, but it kills me every time I read 'director' and hear people's stated job descriptions - We had 'directors' like them too when I were a lad, we called 'em 'self employed' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Mother, is Hovis ready fur'tea?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you always have to post negative comments? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
4SilverRings - Cheer up a bit man, loose the bitterness!

[/ QUOTE ]

The only bitterness I have is in glasses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif