suspension set up for A3 Quattro

leespears1

Reaction score
im gettin 18s soon and need uprated shock and springs? any advice! Cheers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ANDYTQ said:
How about the S3 standard suspension for sale on here.Works on mine and drills and its a cheap upgrade.Cheers Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

An S3 set up would be a slight improvement...but to be honest, it's still awful.
You can persevere with the S3 stuff for years...but you simply can't get the car to handle properly.

The only way you are actually going to drastically improve the handling is to fit a decent quality set of springs and dampers.

I use Bilstein Sport dampers and H&R springs...a combination I'd recommend.

If you only want it to look better...change the springs only, and it'll look better but drive badly.

If you want it to look good and handle better...change the springs and dampers - as you suggested.

If you really want a transformation in handling you're going to need to look at springs, dampers, front & rear anti-roll bars and an aggressive suspension set up.
That can give you a handling set up as good as the Subarus / Evos, if set up correctly.

I would think that the S3 and A3q aftermarket springs would be interchangable, so you could get a set of lowered springs for an S3/A3q and match them to either A3q or S3 sports dampers.
That'll give a nice improvememt as long as you pay attention to the suspension settings...don't go for standard...that only adds to the understeer problems of the standard car.

Basically, and quality spring and damper combination will yield a good improvememt...but you'll have to set it up aggressively to make the most of it.

Don't forget that you'll probably end up with too much rear negative camber after you've lowered it..so you'll beed to budget for a set of adjustable rear arms to sort that out.

well i aint gotta clue bowt suspension really - s3 u know your stuff - recomend me a suspension setup, ie; part numbers etc...

Bilstein Sprint (the shortened ones) all round
H&R springs
Forge adjustable rear arms

That lot won't leave you with much change out of £1000
Then you'll need the lot fitting...

Then if you are feeling brave:
Neuspeed anti-roll bars front and rear with poly bushes
Or some form of R32 set up using cheaper VW parts and rubber bushes
Then you'll need the lot fitting...

Try to get as much negative camber as you can at the front...aim for -1.5 degrees, acheived by re-jugging the ball joints
Set the reat camber (using the Forge rear arms) to a little more than standard only.
Add some toe-out on the front.
That'll cost you too...

Bingo!...a propely handling A3q / S3.
And an empty wallet / bank account.

Glen ,i take it from this info that balljoints can be modded for extra camber on non S3 quattro?.I have 16mm v6 4 motion rear arb and am planning on getting forge arms when funds allow.I will eventually change to quality shocks and springs,but as a cheap temporary set up they have been good.Is the ride quality better on your set up,cause standard S3 set-up seems harsh?Cheers Andy.

[ QUOTE ]
ANDYTQ said:
Glen ,i take it from this info that balljoints can be modded for extra camber on non S3 quattro?.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I do not know...
You'd have to look and see.

[ QUOTE ]

I have 16mm v6 4 motion rear arb and am planning on getting forge arms when funds allow.I will eventually change to quality shocks and springs,but as a cheap temporary set up they have been good.Is the ride quality better on your set up,cause standard S3 set-up seems harsh?

[/ QUOTE ]

ride quality is better than standard dampers with lowered springs...but I struggle to remember what the completely standard set up was like - except to remember that it wasn't great (the ride was not bad, but the handling awful).

The ride on the Bilstein Sprint / H&R set up is good...firm but superbly damped...combined with the Neuspeed bars I honestly don't think I could have got it any better even after years of trying.

If i had new shocks and springs, say the full H&R kit for example and left out the adjustable rear bars, would this be better than the standard S3 setup?? and would it make the tyres wear more quickly on the inside/outside edge??

Mark

[ QUOTE ]
NWMark said:
If i had new shocks and springs, say the full H&R kit for example and left out the adjustable rear bars, would this be better than the standard S3 setup?? and would it make the tyres wear more quickly on the inside/outside edge??

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

I will handle better, BUT you will have alot of negative camberm and from the back it looks like the suspension has collapsed!

Rich