RS6 alloys question

Mike.M

Reaction score
Thinking of getting some RS6 alloys for my car from Rochford tyres.

They have et35 (mines et32) which is almost perfect for my car, but they also offer an et45 for 5x100 wheels..............would this be like having 10mm spacers that are part of the wheel or am I missing the point?

What you think?

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Mike said:
Thinking of getting some RS6 alloys for my car from Rochford tyres.

They have et35 (mines et32) which is almost perfect for my car, but they also offer an et45 for 5x100 wheels..............would this be like having 10mm spacers that are part of the wheel or am I missing the point?

What you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ofset work the other way round. I.e, the larger the number, the closer into the car it is. Its measured from the centreline of the wheel to the hub face.

ET35 is what i have and are suitable for the S3. ET30 might be TOO far out?!

Rich

Offset
The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types.

Zero Offset
The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive
The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative
The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly. We have test fitted thousands of different vehicles for proper fitment. Our extensive database allows our sales staff to offer you the perfect fit for your vehicle.

offset.gif

- taken from TireRack.com

yeah so for example.

if you have wheels with an ofset of ET35 and then put on 10mm spacers, this is the same as having ET25 wheels.

Mark

It might look nice filling the arches more but don't forget the extra load on the components e.g. bearings etc.

the 45 is for the new shape A3 i got the rs6 in the 45 and fit good on my car but doubt they would fit the previous shape if thats what u have..