Chris NottAH Fabrications
    1st Gear

Status

Leak following Haldex oil change

I have recently had a basic variable service at Fontain including a haldex oil change.

Ever since I have had a slow oil leak from around a rubber bung about a 1 foot in front of the rear near-side wheel.

The oil seems to originate from a pipe mounted into the subframe behind the near-side rear wheel that runs down the inside and then out before collecting around the rubber bung and dripping. A similar pipe can be found on the off-side connecting to the top of the differential that does not leak. My guess would be that the off-side is a breather for the differential and my leaking near-side one a breather for the haldex, perhaps shown on page 1 of the .pdf found at the start of the following thread?

Haldex - for info

Please could someone confirm this pipe to be a haldex breather and suggest what may be causing the oil to leak?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status

Same problem exactly!

Hey there, I got the same issue exactly - did you ever get a resolution on yours?

My other post:
    http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=64782

Cheers!

1st Gear

Status
    Yes,

After Fontain failed to fix the problem, after blaiming it on a worn sump washer even when the leak was originating from the breather pipe something like a foot higher and thee away to the side, I took it to another local mechanic. They warmed the car up, drained the old (2 weeks) Haldex oil, changed the filter and injected some new oil. The leak has now stopped.

I had read somewhere that the oil is very viscous and needs to be hot to drain correctly, a surplus in the system could account for the leak?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Many thanks mate, will follow it up with my dealer...