New gearbox and clutch kit. More problems....Please Help!

Reaction score
Hi guys, my gearbox went a few weeks back and I got it replaced along with a new clutch kit. Now the clutch feels extremely light. Like theres no pressure and feels like I'm pushing on air when i depress the pedal. Now though the car is struggling to go into first and reverse. It takes a few pumps of the clutch to get the car into gear. All the other gears are fine though. Also there's a slow leak from the gearbox area. I don't know whether this could be the slave cylinder or the box....any ideas or suggestions? I'm thinking of getting the slave cylinder replaced. Hopefully not the gearbox again......ARGH! any help or suggestions would be great. Its a 1999 1.6 btw. Cheers in advance....

Well if it was all done by a garage my 1st & ultimate advice is take it back straight away cause if it wont even go into gear with pedal down then certainly thats fecked & 2-3 pumps, sorry but we're not in the victorian days here of windups etc, lol, take it back & get sorted, if done by yourself then thats a different story altogether I'm afraid.

Yeah, it doesn't go into gear straight away......I took it to the garage today, he's gonna take a look at it on the ramp on wednesday. Im gonna buy the clutch cylinder so he can do that for me. If thats not the problem then luckily I was given a warranty for the gbox....although it'll mean making a 120 mile trip to go fetch a replacement. Trying to keep the costs down has backfired....bigtime!:keule:

Feck that if its the gearbox then get them to collect & drop of replacement fella, there fault not yours so why waste several hours, time & money fella let alone fuel costs & if the cylinder is cheap then ye do but if its alot of money & its not faulty why change it over, also if the garage guy fitted it wrong then its down to him, from where I'm standing you shouldnt be paying anymore money for anything to fix that cars gearbox, so stand your ground fella!!!!

Sounds like the slave has gone, and thats a gearbox out job on these, it really should have been done or suggested to you when renewing the clutch kit and box. Lets hope the garage are feeling generous

gearbox out job?! i thought that on the 1.6 you can do it without taking the gearbox out. I can see where it is on the outside of the gbox...damn...well my mechanic is a mate of my pops so hopefully he'll sort me out, even if it means taking the gbox out AGAIN...! Cheers fellas...

Good luck !! I may be thinking of the TQS gearbox, if you can see the whole cylinder its probabaly ok to do, and the leaking you see is more likely brake fluid etc

Dude, where you getting this done??

Well i bought the gearbox from a guy that reconditions vw/audi gearboxes in Dartford, but got the fitting done back home in Leicester in garage. The garage in Leicester is gonna check and replace the slave cylinder for me on Wednesday, providing that is the prodlem of course...

I broke my slave cylinder when I replaced my clutch. I had similar symptoms to you. The slave should be on the outside of the box on your car.

Good luck with it.