MAF question again!

carl310166

Reaction score
could anybody tell me what are the symptoms of MAF failure?

can it be detected by a dealer via a diagnostic check?

my a3 tq is quite jerky to drive,if you take your foot off the throttle,it jerks/surges....and when you change gear,if you don't let the clutch out smoothly and ease the throttle on gently,it hesitates/jerks. the performance seems to be lacking (unless i have got used to it) after about 4000 rpm,nothing happens. there is a particular slip road joining a motorway that i use daily,it starts downhill,dips,then climbs to join the main carriageway,if i accelerate smoothly but firmly in 5th,it's a struggle to get 65mph when joining,it's not what i expect from 180bhp. i am especially convinced since having a ride in my brother in laws saab turbo.

it's going into the dealer on monday to have the dv replaced,but can they test the Map for me,or do i change the dv first,then change the MAP if it is required?

has anybody else had these symptoms,and were they rectified?

thanks in advance.

i will add,the 50-70 in 5th time is about right ,8secs?

I have a question...

where is the MAF??

How much is it to buy?

Is it easy to fit yourself???

Well thats 3 questions...but hey!! what are forums for!!

The easiest way of testing the MAF is to disconnect it, this will put the ECU to default data and the car should run smoothly, but very underpowered.

Other items that can influence the rpm in teh way you describe is the coolant sensor, but you would also have starting and idling problems.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

The MAF is located directly after the air filter box in a plastic housing. Just picked up one this morning on service exchange and was 99 Euros (60-70 GBP), new part is 273 Euros!!

I'll look out for you! although theres more chance of you spotting me (Well you would think so wouldn't you!)

I spotted a Silver A3 with a load of people in it on Sunday evening going down the dual by mcdonalds about 9Pm ish! was that you? I was in McDonalds (Again) queing for a McFlurry!

did you spot me?
Cheers
Rich

it wasn't me on sunday,if it was,i would have waved/flashed etc because,for some reason,i always look in macdonalds for you (i prefer Joe's ice cream myself..mmmm).

by the way,this A4 stands out a mile! RS6 style wheels,colour coded bumpers and very bright red,a real headturner,a little ott for my taste,but it's got a lovely engine,the only problem was,i drove for 30 miles on the motorway,before spotting it had 6 gears!

also,did you go to the Sinclair's test drive day at Margam on sunday? i booked a test drive in the A8 4.0 diesel quattro (my choice when my lottery numbers come up),unfortunately somebody else missed their slot,and wanted to share the test drive with me,so i walked away and let them have it,i was kicking myself later,i should have stood my ground,when will i get to drive an A8 again?

oh i forgot! the loaner has a large number 16 in the front window,it was one of the test drive cars on sunday.

see you around

carl

i have just come back from the dealers!!!!

they traced the fault to the air mass meter (no exchange on this one),changed the diverter valve,fitted new rear discs and pads,fitted new tie rods,4 wheel alignment,new wipers and fixed the clip on the parcel shelf......wait for it..£1090.80!!!!!

in the last year,i have spent

£100 air con
£565 80k service
£153 10k inspection
£1090 repirs from inspection

(also had a bit of work done under warranty)

thats almost 2k,slightly dissapointed,no wonder i was at the bmw dealer yesterday. i am trying to weigh up the cost of changing,to how much i have spent so far and if anything goes wrong in the near future.

anyway,i don't think i could recommend an audi to friends,too unreliable....perhaps i am feeling sorry for myself?

plus,i have to tax the thing before the end of the month!

well.when i bought the A3 (my first audi)i expected the associated costs with owning a top marque,i mean,i knew it would be more expensive than my previous Renault and Fiat dealer,BUT i didn't think much would go wrong!

i suppose when i have stopped sulking,i will accept that
the air con/climate needs doing every 2 years anyway,i was unlucky that the 80k service was my first,and the inspection costs were fair.

how do you rate the 3 series though,overall? did you just fancy a change?

[ QUOTE ]
carlosthejackal said:
well.when i bought the A3 (my first audi)i expected the associated costs with owning a top marque,i mean,i knew it would be more expensive than my previous Renault and Fiat dealer,BUT i didn't think much would go wrong!

i suppose when i have stopped sulking,i will accept that
the air con/climate needs doing every 2 years anyway,i was unlucky that the 80k service was my first,and the inspection costs were fair.

how do you rate the 3 series though,overall? did you just fancy a change?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Audi is better built there is no doubt about that, I mean this in terms of materials used etc, but for handling and general comfort the 3 series is hands down winner. The driving position in the Beemer is far better IMO and the sports seats are so supportive when compared to anything Audi have to offer. Moving abroad made me decide I wanted more power and choose the A3T because of the tuning potential and becasue I didn't know how long I was going to stay for. The Audi image is better than that of the BMW due to the drivers, but I vow my next private car will be a Beemer....

328 Coupe for a while and then a 318ti (compact), it's a long story about why the step down and why I had a 328 coupe in the first place...

I've driven quite a few BMW's now and each time it confirms where my heart really lies, RWD sports! Haven't driven the E46 M3, but would love to, and last time I was in Abu Dhabi I took an M5 for a spin....awesome car!

Back to the original subject!!

Is a faulty MAF covered under warranty??

I think I could have the beginnings of this too!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

well mine was out of warranty,so i had to cover the cost.

i was informed that i could get an exchange untit for £90 all inc. when i asked about this,the dealer told me it's only for the newer models,what this means i don't know.

i had to pay £255.61 +vat,so i hope you don't have the same problem!

I've just had to have my MAF replaced outside of warranty, and it cost well over £300 inc fitting. However, even though the car's out of warranty, and an import, they've agreed to stump up half. Bonus!

Apparently there is a degree of 'goodwill' on these. I wish you luck!

I will enquire with the stealer soon as my warranty runs out in October this year!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

mmmmm...honestly,it's hard to say,because i had the dv done the same time,which by the way,makes the same noise as before!

the hesitation seems better,but there is still a jerky slowing down when you come off the throttle,like somebody dabbing the brake pedal for a moment.

perhaps this is a charecteristic of this type of car? either way,i don't like it.

i normally drive my car very gently,easy on the throttle,easy on the clutch and rarely going over 3000 rpm.
when i picked it up from the dealer (waited for the oil to warm up) i gave it some welly,quite agressive,revving to 6k etc,it felt good being thrashed a bit,but i am looking for a smooth ride.

as for the performance,it feels a bit better,but i have not done many miles or taken it over my normal route as i am on leave this week,saying that,because it's difficult to measure,any difference might be just subjective.

i really need to save up,and take it to AMD to have rr session.

i have also emailed Audi uk to clarify the position about the exchange MAF price.

You guys have been mugged to a certain extent, as I picked up an exchange MAF for 99 Euros (70 GBP) last week and my car is certainly not new!

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
You guys have been mugged to a certain extent, as I picked up an exchange MAF for 99 Euros (70 GBP) last week and my car is certainly not new!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mugged?!! At least **** Turpin wore a mask, unlike Audi...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Audi A3 1.8TS said:
where you get it from?

[/ QUOTE ]

From the stealer....here in The Netherlands.

oh...fair enough!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif