need new engine

sean88boy

black S3
Reaction score
Hi guys, I need help my engine has died. Ive got it to the garage and they got the head off and with my great bad luck spark plug number two had snapped and destroyed the engine. it broke a few valves which is repairable but also melted a piston and then went through the turbo, so thats fecked.
mechanic says all i need is a new block. im going to upgrade pistons rod turbo etc but
do all the s3 engines have the same block i have an apy but i keep coming across bam engines for salvage and i cant really get started untill i have the block as buying a new engine is over a £1000s second hand
thanks guys

what year was the car made and what was the mileage on it?
was the cambelt changed? was it serviced recently?
what make were the spark plugs?

All the 06A blocks are interchangeable. AMK, BAM and APX (i think) should bolt up. The emmisions stuff and the head are slightly different.

You can also use AGU, AUM, AUQ blocks from Golfs and A3s. Bear in mind that the internals aren't as strong with AUM and AUQ.

Problem is that you would then need to tell your insurance and they will class it as modified with a different engine type.

Can the original block not be over bored with slightly larger pistons? Or maybe just a rehone and new standard pistons?

The original block was damaged so that if it were over bored it would be really weak (thin) I intend to get larger forged piston so i really just need a block that fits.
i didnt know i could use one from an a3 or golf

would you know if the tt bvr block would fit onto the s3??