Power loss under load (TDi 130)

smo

TDi Power
Reaction score
Recently on several occasions i've suffered power loss under load, usually when driving up hill, at speed on full or nearly full throttle. Most recently i was towing a considerable load when i lost all power.

Symptoms are power loss leaving car feeling dead/lifeless, this happens even when dropping down a gear, car seemingly refuses to "boost" and wont rev over 2-2.5K under load, yet dip clutch to remove load and it revs freely. Symptoms sometimes clear whilst driving after 10 or so mins, but more often need engine to be turned off to clear the fault.

Any ideas what's causing this???

Sound as if the engine is going into limp mode due to a boost related fault. Read the fault codes and the fault may be over boost related. The fault may clear if you switch the ignition off and on quickly?

You have either a vacuum leak on the turbo nozzle ring control pipes or the turbo nozzle ring/variable vanes are crudded up.

A simple test is to apply vacuum to the pipe to the turbo and see if vacuum is holding, check the nozzle ring actuator is moving freely.

If this is all OK, the turbo will need to be removed and the hot side cleaned in say an ultrasound bath to remove all the carbon crud etc.

I guess i need somthing like vag-com to read the fault codes??? Could i use my landrover (nanocom) obd port reader to get them??

Could a leak from the intercooler cause this??

I guess i need somthing like vag-com to read the fault codes??? Could i use my landrover (nanocom) obd port reader to get them??quote]

IIRC - I don't think they are the same fitment, have a look at my thread at the very top of the A3/S3 forum - "members with vag.com" and see if someone local to you could help you out

Mike