Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    smo
    TDi Power

Status

Power loss under load (TDi 130)

Recently on several occasions i've suffered power loss under load, usually when driving up hill, at speed on full or nearly full throttle. Most recently i was towing a considerable load when i lost all power.

Symptoms are power loss leaving car feeling dead/lifeless, this happens even when dropping down a gear, car seemingly refuses to "boost" and wont rev over 2-2.5K under load, yet dip clutch to remove load and it revs freely. Symptoms sometimes clear whilst driving after 10 or so mins, but more often need engine to be turned off to clear the fault.

Any ideas what's causing this???

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Sound as if the engine is going into limp mode due to a boost related fault. Read the fault codes and the fault may be over boost related. The fault may clear if you switch the ignition off and on quickly?

You have either a vacuum leak on the turbo nozzle ring control pipes or the turbo nozzle ring/variable vanes are crudded up.

A simple test is to apply vacuum to the pipe to the turbo and see if vacuum is holding, check the nozzle ring actuator is moving freely.

If this is all OK, the turbo will need to be removed and the hot side cleaned in say an ultrasound bath to remove all the carbon crud etc.
    Last edited by PW-Motorsport; 10th October 2008 at 08:25.

smo
    TDi Power

Status
    I guess i need somthing like vag-com to read the fault codes??? Could i use my landrover (nanocom) obd port reader to get them??

Could a leak from the intercooler cause this??

5th Gear

Status
    [quote=smo;626132]I guess i need somthing like vag-com to read the fault codes??? Could i use my landrover (nanocom) obd port reader to get them??quote]

IIRC - I don't think they are the same fitment, have a look at my thread at the very top of the A3/S3 forum - "members with vag.com" and see if someone local to you could help you out

Mike
    S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8's & Eibach Springs, Neuspeed ARB's (22mm front & 19mm rear).

Badger 5's Machined Discs with DS2500 pads & HEL braided lines.