Fuel economy on 1999 1.6l A3

paulious

Reaction score
Hi,

Just out of interest i would start a fuel economy thread especially with petrol prices ever on the rise.

my car is an 1999 Audi A3 1.6l

Did a trip from Leeds to Torquay (95% motorway) stuck in lane one at 55-60mph with the attempt of achieving best fuel economy. Windows up, AC off as i don't have it, No humongous Amps or anything just stock car on supermarket 95ron unleaded and managed 50miles to the gallon! Admittedly this was estimated by the fuel gauge but was averaged over a 330 mile journey so shoule be relatively accurate.

Interested in seeing what you guys have managed with a similar spec car and if anyone has any fuel economy tips :)

On my old 97 1.6 polo id usually get 25-30 mpg on a mix of driving

my 01 tdi i get approx 55-60mpg on a mix driving carefully... driving like a loon will knock 10 ish off

my 01 tdi i get approx 55-60mpg on a mix driving carefully... driving like a loon will knock 10 ish off

i think im going trade mine in for a diesel! i know mines a 1.8t remapped to about 215bhp but i swear i shouldnt be doing 21mpg round town and 32 on a run! is that right? i go from stoke to rhyl quite often and it costs £30-£35 i go a500, a50, a55 which is a nice cruise at about 60-70mph there and back but its only a 135 miles round trip!

plugged into vagcom but as always says theres nothing wrong with the engine/fuelling!

Mine has a fair few mods 4 Bar FBR Stage 2 mapping Full turbo back miltek etc I get about 300 miles to a full tank of V-power. Thats mixed driving as there are alot of scoobys round my area!

Keep thinking GT TDI is the way forward though?

Jason

Mine has a fair few mods 4 Bar FBR Stage 2 mapping Full turbo back miltek etc I get about 300 miles to a full tank of V-power. Thats mixed driving as there are alot of scoobys round my area!

Keep thinking GT TDI is the way forward though?

Jason

most mines ever seen was from stoke to torquay and back so full on motorway at 80-90mph going with the flow of traffic 260 miles however the electronic guage said i had 515 miles of fuel at one point! which i have a pic of somewhere...

I do about 380 miles before I have to fill up. Could get over 400 if I wanted to stretch it. Not bad really.

My average speed is 36mph and 35mpg according to the computer though.

i think im going trade mine in for a diesel! i know mines a 1.8t remapped to about 215bhp but i swear i shouldnt be doing 21mpg round town and 32 on a run! is that right? i go from stoke to rhyl quite often and it costs £30-£35 i go a500, a50, a55 which is a nice cruise at about 60-70mph there and back but its only a 135 miles round trip!

plugged into vagcom but as always says theres nothing wrong with the engine/fuelling!

Aye 60-70mph seems the best for fuel economy on mine i get into the 60'smpg but i usually sit at 80mph and i usually got 55mpg all day long even with mainly urban driving.

One thing id say about the diesel is that i can rape it and still returns pretty good.