ESP Warning light - help

s3vik225bhp

Reaction score
When driving at fast speeds (within the speed limit of course
biglaugh.gif
) and pressing the accelarator to overtake those pescky ford st drivers the esp warning light comes on. When i turn the engine off it doesnt com back on. Been to audi they said break light switched which they re-placed happened again so they said it may be the air flow meter they put in so they upped the petrol going in to the engine but no other faults comming up. They also said they suspect the car has been chipped because some tool at audi reckons 'its faster than a standard s3' if it had then id be boasting to any one who would listen. Can any one help those poor old audi boyz and thier computer?

thanks in any case

Is it only when you floor the throttle?
If the car has been "chipped" and is running a diffrent map they should be able to see this . I can with vag com so Audi uk people should be more than able .
The fault will be logged on the ecu and the engine sensors can be logged... boost. air flow...
Get somebody with vag com ( and half a brain) to have a look .

Is it only when you floor the throttle?
If the car has been "chipped" and is running a diffrent map they should be able to see this . I can with vag com so Audi uk people should be more than able .
The fault will be logged on the ecu and the engine sensors can be logged... boost. air flow...
Get somebody with vag com ( and half a brain) to have a look .

it is only when the throttle is floored; they erckon no faults comming up. Thinking about taking it out at lunch flooring it, hopefully the warning light will com up and ill take it to audi without switing engine off. Apprently sparadic codes are wiped when engine turned off.

thanks for the help

Well if you're flooring it then the ESP could be coming on given traction etc but unless you notice it at the wheel doubt this & given 8L S3 was great on the road & not once did my S3 light up esp I cant see it somehow, as for sparadic codes coming & going, thats new on me, if its thrown a code then that code would remain for viewing & until cleared, since when did the MAF cause ESP to show up, can someone explain?? Its traction on road based no??

as for sparadic codes coming & going, thats new on me, if its thrown a code then that code would remain for viewing & until cleared, ?

well i know thats not true on the ABS, the code disappears once the fault goes. and the ABS sensors are used for ESP

Well if you're flooring it then the ESP could be coming on given traction etc but unless you notice it at the wheel doubt this & given 8L S3 was great on the road & not once did my S3 light up esp I cant see it somehow, as for sparadic codes coming & going, thats new on me, if its thrown a code then that code would remain for viewing & until cleared, since when did the MAF cause ESP to show up, can someone explain?? Its traction on road based no??

Cheers for the reply. ESP light does flicker on on bumpy surfaces etc but thats not the fualt at the mo. When flooring it it to over take on a motorway comes on and stays on until turn engine off. the bright sparks at audi told me that sporadic fault codes could be wiped when the engine were turned off; no other faults came up after the last time it happened and i took it in. Just want to make sure its not a huge fault as my warranty runs out on 11 october and the audi boys are being ****** usless at mo.

If the fault has been raised with them multiple times before warranty ends then this is an ongoing issue, take it back say you're not happy with the diagnosis & you want it fixed/looked into, warranty is exactly for these things, half the time we can tell them how to fix it as I have multiple times & others on here, damn annoying I can tell yer!!!!!!

Yeah I guess if its an ABS intermittant fault then stands to reason its this, mention this to them aswell, I would also give the abs sensors a good clean yourself, wheels of & brush it of is what I did, tend to get metal dust stick to the sensor area so be volatile with the brush

Some codes are "drive off" once fix'd. I myself have had the esp kick in due to "eratic" driving. That however is simple my footing it too hard in the wrong part of a corner.
If you drive steady but quickly in a straight line is everything fine?
If its anything to do with the MAF this can be logged with vag com ...
Engine,
measuring blocks,
This would show any VAG mechanic worth his £80+ labour charge if the maf was starting to fail...

This happens occasionally with my car and i know it happens occasionally with my mates S3 too.... both cars have been remapped, like you said, when the car is turned off the light goes out. This doesn't happen very often tho and when i read the fault code's on both cars it came up with the MAF signal too high.....personally i don't worry to much about it cause the car still runs fine and like i said doesn't happen very often....

if you disconnect the MAF the ESP light comes on, not sure if this is useful info?

also i have had this issue a few times (less lately) and not resolved it, although it isnt happening enough for me to want to chase....just esp coming on when in traffic aftera quick boot on the right foot(through lights etc)