Please please help me! Will i break my car with a blowing downpipe?

Splab333

Reaction score
Hey, sorry for the long post but i needed to get all the info up! I have just changed the head gasket for the first time on my audi S3 (225bhp KO4) I got everything sorted and back together and when i started it, it was blowing Because of the position, i cant see very well but, whilst trying to eliminate what it is, im thinking; I put the exhaust manifold on yesterday with the head on a bench (was sent away and dismantled for re build / skim etc. I used a brand new gasket and torqued it all down no problem, im sure it cant be blowing there..... Then when fitting, i put the mani-turbo gasket in place and torqued down the bolts after i torqued the head bolts. I put the gasket in by itself, please dont tell me i was meant to use exhaust paste? If i wasnt, then the only thing i can think of is during jacking etc of the engine to change the cam belt, i have maybe broken a weld or the gasket seal in the downpipe from the turbo??? Thats all i can think of as the other 2 gaskets were new and torqued Anyway, i drove the car up the road and put my foot down, whin it came on boost, there was a screaming sound coming from the engine bay, not turbo whine but like a butch girl screaming in the distance lol Would this suggest that it was leaking after the turbo, the turbo to dp gasket??? Thanks for any info, Cheers :icon_thumright:

Oh yeh, and after driving it, things seemed a bit hotter than usual, could the escaping hot gasses damage anything on my car? Many thanks

A leaking manifold prior to the turbo would sound like a breathy-tick if you know what I mean. Like an air cooled beetle.

A leak after the turbo can whistle, especially under boost. Is the sound really loud. Does the sound appear suddenly at a certain boost level. Nothing and then a whistle? Or does it sound as soon as the turbo starts to spool up?

It starts as the turbo starts to boost fully, i can hear it spool (just as it sounds like a blowing exhaust) then at ~3k it screams, im pretty sure its as soon as it fully boosts. Could the 100k mile turbo - dp gasket broken up from all the movement when i was working on it!?
Thanks HTC, much apreciated :eek:)

Gaskets you haven't touched should be fine as long as you haven't loosened the bolts.

If it sounds like a normal blowinig exhaust then I would guess that's what it is. The screaming may be the sound of the turbine through it, or one of the turbo wheels scraping. You need to get the car up in the air and find that leak.

i didnt remove the turbo ( i wanted to, i didnt realise till then how small and crappy the K04 is, would have thrown it down the road if i had money for a BT lol)
I did however jack the engine up and down a few times to get the drivers side engine mount out of the way, i was wondering if something was catching on the dp and when i jacked it, damaged the flexi?

Grrrr

Thanks for the input, i will get under and have a better look for the leak, will i damage anything driving it though? I mean will the ecu go nuts with an incorrect lambda signal etc? Im not fully up to date with all this stuff!!

Thanks, James

Found the problem!

The gasket between turbo and mani was all warped and burnt, cant see how as it went in fine and was all torqued down ok???

Ordering a new one tomorrow so will be bak driving soon,

Thanks for the info HTC, much apreciated