Retrofit LCD climate control

dandy

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is possible? I have the widdly knobs in my A3 which look a bit naff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif and was wondering how hard it would be to change for a LCD version from a trashed but higher spec A3.

But is that the difference between Air conditioning and Climate control?

I thought the Air con on Audi's is the basic setup i.e. it's cold or it's hot, no temperature regulating by an ECU. Where as Climate control has many, many sensors which it monitors and then try's to maintain a constant temperature throughout the car.

So for air con only simple dials would be needed, where as for climate control you need a value for the system to maintain, thus the need for the LCD display.

I may be wrong, the above is just an assumption that I came to.......

I see your point. I don't have air con but I do have a button under the twirling knobs which goes orange when you press it and I think it is to circulate the air. Would I be correct in saying that the LCD display regulates temperature and if you don't have air con like me, then you can't fit such a panel because as you say - my car blows hot or cold?

Two words mate - Good luck.

I see where you're coming from and I'm sure it is possible, but at what price God only knows. There's also a CC panel on eBay at the moment.

Cheers

Ben

[ QUOTE ]
dandy said:
I see your point. I don't have air con but I do have a button under the twirling knobs which goes orange when you press it and I think it is to circulate the air. Would I be correct in saying that the LCD display regulates temperature and if you don't have air con like me, then you can't fit such a panel because as you say - my car blows hot or cold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think (yes only think) that you'd be in the same position even if you had air con or not, it would be very, very difficult to upgrade to the LCD panel (Climate control) due to the number of additional sensors required external and internal to the cabin.

If you have a snow flake button then it means that you have Air con. Air con is massively different to climate control from what I can see, CC monitors the internal cabin temperature at every level, headliner, dashboard and feet as the basics, on top of this are an absolute shed load of other sensors all monitoring inlet and outlet tempretures to maintain a stable 'climate' (Similar to the stable climate of the Middle East?....no threat of war here).
Check out the link below to see what I mean above;

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int5.shtml

The fact you can check out things like engine Rpm, road speed in Kph or MPH and engine temp takes it a step above air conditioning, which just blow the temperature the dial is set to with no regulation, so basically just cold or hot.

This is based on my assumptions only....... but I am an Engineer by trade, so it should be close.....ish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

I too wondered about replacing the knobs with the LCD panel, but only the fan speed and buttons for the flaps - the aircon part is tooooo much. One of the problems is the housing for the flaps and heater matrix is different, so the solanoid motors probably wont fit in place of the cables. As you say, there are a few sensors too, plus the wiring etc. The Parts CD will give you an idea of the differences. The idea is on the back burner at the moment...