wheel refurb question

glen_jai

Reaction score
Website
www.glenster.co.uk
I've been intouch with a local mobile bodywork/wheel repair company in Cambridge, who tell me that they do wheel refurbs for about £50 each.

However, they don't take the wheel off the car, and only refurb the outer face. They tell me that this is normal practice with wheel refurbishment.

I thought most places take the wheel off the car, and remove the tyres, and refurbish the whole wheel (inside and out).

Anyone with any experience on this?

Cheers,

Glen

won't look that great tbh.

better get the tyres removed, get the wheels sandblasted and powdercoated.

will cost cheaper and a more durable finish

Yeah, They should take it off i have been quoted £53 per wheel for powder coating included removal from car, tyre removal from rim and refitting.
but there is only one place i can go too so they will get the work!

thats the way garages normally have their wheels tarted up for a sale, better getting them removed and done right imo

Just thought id drop my .2p

I have refurbed many sets of wheels and have only had the tyres taken off maybe 2 sets.

I have repaired most because there was no significant damage to the wheel and could mask up around the tyre. Some I have had to remove the tyre and grind/sand the kurb marks out.

So if your wheels are badly kurbed, be sure to have the wheel off, if they're not curbed but the paint is crap i.e corroded, tyre on is fine.

yep def require wheel off for me and if there being poweder coated must come off anyway

if i was paying 50 notes a corner to have them refurbed,id want the whole wheel refurbed in and out not just the face.
they sound like cowboys to me
the wheel and tyre has to come off to be done properly imho

Bodge job Glen, decent call out wheel refurbers will take your wheels off and work on them in the back of their van mate, they usually push the tyre beading off the rim on the alloy face side and repair the damaged area as they would a dent/smart repair. It usually doesn't last as well as a tyre completely off job.

I did mine (temporarily) with the tyres on:

wheel_painting_19.JPG

however, I did the inside too

I had my old wheels refurbed from pristine wheels located in Woburn sands they charged £45 a wheel 17's,each alloy was stripped and repaired!

iv referbed mine twice now without taking tyres off and look spot on! when i get a light scuff or fancy a change in colour i just take them off the car, flat them down mask them up and give them a new paint job!

when i got the car (silver)
17022008014.jpg

1st referb (went grey)

07092008054.jpg

2nd referb (light grey)
29092008075.jpg

i thin k i prefer the dark grey tho? all comments and opinions welcome.

Dan,

What spray paint do you use ? is it just normal can stuff you find in halfords ?

and do you then spray on with laquer ?

yes mate out of cans, put a 1st coat of paint on then a second then 2 coats of laquer jobs a good 1! remember to mast dust cap valves as i nearly miss them everytime!

well i was about to book my car in for a wheel refurb from a mobile service, dont think i'll be doing that now!!

anyone got any reccommendations for any 'proper' alloy refurbers in the northampton area?

hey marky... im from northampton and I hear 'wheel mania' are highly recommended.. There mobile and take the whole wheel and tyre off and sand blast them.. Yell.com them mate, am thinking of using them soon.

Cheers

Dan, your wheels look mint, how long does it take you to do them, i think they look professional, do you do the insides as well, or just the face??

How many cans do you use as well for all 4 wheels, can you put the colours down as well, as im really interested in the DIY route....or in you doing them for me ;)

Takes me around 3-4 hours and there back on the car!
3 cans of colour and 2 cans of laquer costs around £20 VERY CHEAP REFERB!
1st colour (silver) is standard wheel colour
2nd colour (grey) rover storm grey
3rd colour (light grey) Fiat steel grey

if you need any help let me kno ur only round the corner from me.

Cheers dude, i might just give you a shout soon, when i get a few hours....

PM me your number dude and I will give you a bell if thats ok :)

Jimbo, get off the net and get your car sorted....im looking forward to the finished product oh and your wheels look pretty good too.