Piano Black trim removal (Hazard LIght Switch)

Spacecowboy

Reaction score
CAn anyone walk me through this? I need to replace the Hazard Light switch (relay) as my indicators are all but non-existant now! I've removed the radio...

Cheers!

you dont have to remove the trim the hazard switch just pulls out, you need to ease it forward with a thin blade/screwdriver, just watch the edge of the trim that you dont damage it.

You mean the switch will come out of its own aperture slot without taken off the front? How do you put the new one in and (presumably) plug it into the connecting loom?

just get a small flat screwdriver and slip it between trim and dash it will just un clip. you can then pull out switch and change it over really is easy as un clip trim change switch no need to remove radio just the trim around hazard switch

This sounds like it may take a little bit of trial and error but id like to avoid the error. Just to be clear - and taking radio out is easy so would rather do that, if i place a screwdriver between top of dash and piano black trim and leaver, it will pop off?

not sure about the trim but the switch will just pop out, then unplug connector, reconect new one and push back in, if you look at the new one first it should seem clear.

I've read on here to be careful with the piano black trim as it can chip really easily.

When I changed mine (facelift) I removed the two blanking buttons either side of the ESP switch, then removed the ESP switch which leaves a hole through the piano trim. I then just got a good hold of the trim and pulled it off.
After that the indicator switch is a rectangle block that slides into the dash. Its held in place with metal clips either side and I found it quite tricky to release these. I ended up cutting an old credit card so that it would slide down and push the clips in to release. There are obviously some tools that would be better but I had to make do.

Cheers guys. The piano black feels very brittle hence I dont want to be sticking screwdrivers in anything. Just a bit of pullingn needed!

When i did mine i used a small screwdriver wrapped in a fine cloth...no damage at all.

The difficulty is knowing which part of the trim detaches from the fixed in section in the dash...

I detached mine from the top. I think there are two clips holding it are about 1 inch from each end

For anyone who comes across this common fault, here's how I fixed it:

1) Remove radio (standard keys work as good as anything);
2) No need to remove radio just drop it down onto the gear lever area but make sure you cover it first with a clean rag so not to scratch anything;
3) Place fingers beneath the Piano Black trim. The trim itself, although looks rather fragile, is backed onto a metal surround. Pull firmly toward you and in slightly upwards motion. It should detach - there are approx 2-3 clips that will detach;
4) I found it then easiest to remove the blanking switches either side of the ESP switch to be able to grip the top of the trim and detach the top clips. The blanking switches literally fall out...
5) Remove the cup holder by using a bladed screwdriver to prise up the clips above it (it will make sense when you see it). Pull it directly out toward you;
6) Remove the ESP switch but leave it connected - no need to unplug it from its connector just let it dangle carefully;

7) Now you will be able to get your fingers down either side of the hazard switch. Position them on the base of the switch (feel for it) and give it a very firm pull toward you i.e. toward the back of the car. The switch is spring loaded and will take a little force;
8) Once removed, disconnect the plug on the rear, plug in the new one, test it by actuating for hazards and then indication (turn ignition) before slotting it back in;
9) Replace all of the above by working through the steps in reverse. Job done (about 10-15 mins).

This is intended as a guide only therefore I accept no responsibility whatsoever (implied or expressed) should anything go wrong.