Passenger side mirror fecked!

S3-Chris

If its not broke....break it!!
Reaction score
anyone any ideas??? .....
in my 01 s3, electric mirror on drivers side works fine, passenger one doesnt move at all, not even a noise, i know these are also heated, so in the past couple of cold mornings here in sunny glasgow the drivers one clears within 2mins, and the passenger one doesnt, is this an expensive fx, can i fix it myself.... or???.... comments appreciated!
Chris

got a problem with both of mine.
checked the fuses and they seem fine so its a door card off job for me and check connections as my e/m switch isnt lighting up either so i think mines a power problem to be honest.
id say yours will be the switch/connection or the connection on the mirror itself

If the fuses are ok then check if you're getting a voltage at the mirror. You can carefully pull the mirror glass off from the bottom (unclips), then you'll find 2 wires connected directly to the back which supply voltage to the glass heating element when the ignition is turned on. Stick a muti-tester on these wires and turn the ignition on to see if you get a readout. Do the same for the motor unit - you'll probably need another bod to press the switch while you take a read out. It could be could be a bad earth, a break in the wires to the mirror, or it could be 2 seperate faults, one with a faulty motor unit and one with the glass itself (there's a thermostatic switch on the back).

Just buy a new mirror glass, 15 min job to swap em over. Sounds like the heater elements had it, if one side is still working O.K.
About £20 if I remember right?

Its doubtful its the mirror glass or motor, its a wiring issue as its to coincidental both not working at same time, I've never heard of this at same time unless wiring, if you want to test the heated during the day then turn on rear screen demister as this turns the mirror heating on, just feel glass for heat then check with meter, one to chassis for grounding & one on the wire, ignition doesnt always turn this feature on, depends on temps external.

Check the door pillar for a broken wire as age of car could be this, I cant recall if canbus change in 01 actually added door modules so check this aswell, get a scan with vagcom to check for any diag errors

mine turned out to be a mini fuse No.5 (operates the mirrors and the lights in the sun visors)
but as said.yours will be a wiring/connection problem either at the mirror itself or the switch as one of yours is working

didnt u say you checked your fuses & they were ok, lol, less haste as they say huh fella.

yeah,checked they werent blown and were in properly but thought id check once more as i didnt fancy taking all the door card off.
took it out,cleaned the contacts and closed them up a bit as it seemed a little lose fitting put it back in and now they are sorted aswell as the sun visor lights :thumbsup: