what tyres to buy

amoffat

Reaction score
Website
www.uk.experian.com
Nigel,

How was the quality of the installation? I mean, normally these guys have to take your car apart to install wiring etc. Was everything put back as good as new? No screwdriver marks etc?

I am always afraid that squeaks and rattles start when I I've had 3rd parties removing trim in the past.

Scott

Not driven the car since. The ijnstallation was good - no marks, everything back in the right place.

Cleared one thing up - they now supply T-mobile SIMs free, other networks cost £18. I can live with it being on T-mobile and just top up using the card.

Other thing not cleared up is that the installer said only the Advance can notify you of the alarm going off; however, the manual (just looked) says there is an optional (have to request) wiring loom, which does enable this for the standard device! Have got calls into them to find out if I have to drag 'em back to fit the other loom!

Nige
Your Trackm8 should have been supplied with the standard 4 wire wiring loom - mine was. I fitted my TrackM8 myself can't tell you where though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.
Very impressed with TrackM8

re: Trakm8 wiring looms - advance v standard for alarm notification.

Interactive Projects' responce was as follows, when I questioned them about this.

[ QUOTE ]

TrakM8 1.1 Standard does support the alarm feature. You will need the
11-wire loom. You should be able to order this from the company that
supplied your trakm8, you will probably need to arrange for the installer to
come and fit it. There are a few things that may stop you being able to use
this feature:

1. The alarm must have an external output to notify the TrakM8 when the
alarm is sounding. Some alarms work though the vehicles internal network,
TrakM8 will not work with these alarms.
2. The external output must either, go high and stay high, or go low and
stay low, for the duration of the alarm. If the line is pulsed, you will
receive alot of text messages. Some alarms allow you to configure the
behaviour of the external output.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am just about to phone up TTL and ask why do they not tell people this, when they order - would save them having to come back and enable it with the other loom!!! arrrghhhh.

soon ill be required to replace the tyres on my car alloys,
just wanted to know whether there was any particular brand
i should go for. I guess a hard wearing brand would be nice,
a nice look too it always is an extra. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

How do you find the ZZ3's as I know the ZZ1's are supposed to be crap in terms of grip due to being so hard.

From what I've read, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's seem to be one of the best performance wise... not sure how hard wearing they are but they supposedly stick like glue!

And they have the sexiest tread pattern!

per_gsd3.jpg

Avon ZZ3 - £94.20
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 - £117.90

both 225/40/18 and prices from mytyres.co.uk

common preferred tyres include:
goodyear f1
bridgestone so3
toyo proxes s1
pirelli p zero nero

there are many others but these tend to be some of the best performing at the expense of wear- these ones are also particularly good when it gets wet as well where as the pirelli rosso and p7000 tend to be a lot worse in the wet.

try ebay for price though - i just bought 235/40/18 pirelli pzero nero for £87 each including vat and delivery (i bought 6, i couldnt resist, these are 3% over on the rolling radius but thats not a lot) - my local tyre place wants £10 to fit and balance per tyre.

duncan

I've been consiodering Proxes next time whats peeps thoughts on these?

[ QUOTE ]
FrOgR said:
I've been consiodering Proxes next time whats peeps thoughts on these?

[/ QUOTE ]

A wise choice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pirelli P-Zero Rosso 225/40 18s compound 92y, wore the first set down to slicks and amazingly they still worked in the wet, have a new set on now for the last 1000 miles, the car is almost boring it's so composed, the knocked five seconds off the wet handling circuit time in last years Autocar tyre test using a M3 as the performance test car on Rossos, the Continentlal Conti Sport were only three seconds slower, this was at Michelin's own testing track and it's a short lap too, 42/43 seconds, you should see the photo of the michelin engineers, they look like they're about to cry.

Paul

Black 02 S3 225, sadly no mods yet due to lack of cash, but soon!

I've had Yokohama A539s, very grippy in the dry, OK in the wet, currently have Falken FK451, also grip quite well in the dry and in the wet, noise levels are slightly higher possibly due to stiffer side walls. The Japanese brand tyres are comparible, if not on some occasions, perform better that the big premium brands, and are usually loads more cheaper.

I'm using Michelin Ps2's they are superb in the dry good in the wet but wear fast, especially the edges.