How much........!

603ELO

Reaction score
I know this is often covered but just asked my local dealer - in Newbury, Berks for cost of a standard oil service and a cambelt change (AGU engine 1.8T)

Service £129 plus vat
cambelt £400 plus vat + anything else they find!

Over £600!! Glad I am doing it myself - £105 for parts including new tensioner, pulleys and water pump!

They are well known to have the worst customer services of any dealer in this region too!

I got quoted £350 for the 60k ervice and £450 for the cam belt change - i bet that the parts dont cost half that - let me know how u get on (Ju) i actually maybe in touch very soon as i may need to carry out the work myself - just a little worried about the cam belt - dont want to get that wrong cos the consequences could be catastrophic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Jees.. thats a bit steep! Parts for my service cost £35 delivered! Thats for 4 plugs, fuel filter, oil filter, pollen filter. i;ve changed the brake fluid when i did the brakes, so doenst need doing! Just need to buy oil and then im done. Will do all the checks .etc and replace anything that needs replacing. Wont, however, be doing the cambelt myself!

Rich

Rich

The reason it costs so much is because its a bit of a fiddley job. there isn't that much space to work in there. Took me a fair few hours to do mine.

In hindsight, I wish I changed my water pump at the time. I hope it doesn't go in the near future!

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:
Rich, did you use vag-com to pump the fluid through the abs unit when you changed your break fluid?

[/ QUOTE ]
You what?

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:
Its cool. Just been onto ross-tech web site and found this http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/absbleeding.html

It states that you don't need to pump the ABS when just doing the fluid.

I'd heard on another forum that you were supposed to. Didn't think to check at the time.

Ahh well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool.. will give it a go later!

You don't need to. It says you only need to if your ABS has run completely dry.

I guess its used if you were to replace the unit.

Ooops, we've stolen the thread! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Yeah cambelts..........oooo, nice and rubbery!

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:
You don't need to. It says you only need to if your ABS has run completely dry.

I guess its used if you were to replace the unit.

Ooops, we've stolen the thread! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Yeah cambelts..........oooo, nice and rubbery!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh ok /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

yeah back on topic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Worst cambelt I have done was an Audi 90 20v (fantasic engine though) Very little room, front bumper, crossmember, auxilliary rad have got to come out and you need special tools and a scaffold pole to undo the crank pulley!
Had 4 over the years so knew the procedure fairly well - take ages though!
Lotus Esprit engine a bit of a fiddle. Had to helicoil the tensioner too.....

Ref ABS, my girlfiend's Golf 1.8T has an occasional problem with the ABS which I think is air in the system - how can you bleed the ABS unit without vag-com? Will bleeding the brakes (pressure easi-bleed) do it or will air remain isolated in pump?
Pump seems to purge every now and then and pulse the pedal - all sensors replaced. Brakes do seem a bit spongy.

Let you know how the cambelt change goes - might even take some pics if I remember!

The hardest thing about changing the belts on these Audi's is the lack of space. If ur handy with the spanner and work methodically then u should be able to do it with out too much hassle and only a few grazed knuckles.
Audi's price £400-450 is a total rip off.