Servicing question

glen_jai

Reaction score
Website
www.glenster.co.uk
Hi guys,
Just wondered if anyone knows how the Audi variable servicing schedule works.

Am I right to think that the only things that are variable are the following?

- Brake fluid
- Haldax oil
- Spark plugs

Have I missed anything out?
Oh, this is for a 2001 AMK S3 btw.

The reason I'm asking this, is because I'll be taking my car to Backdraft for servicing from now on and so need to synchronize my current service schedule with them.

Any advice would be grateful.

Cheers,
Glen

Get them to put it on normal 10k service intervals. AVS is not only a rip off, but will also effect the longterm reliability of a turbocharged engine. Get them to show you the state of your supposed "longlife" oil if you need convincing. It'll look like thick black gloss paint. Not good generally let alone sludging round your turbo.
AVS is designed to keep fleet managers happy as if you believe the marketing hype you only need to have your car serviced every 15-18k miles. However not only is this rarely the case, but also on a quattro you still have to go back between services to get the Haldex oil changed so you end up going to the garage just as many times as with 10k intervals.

Thanks Andy,
I shall be having an oil change every 6k miles or so now with this big turbo kit fitted anyway.
Is it quite straightforward changing from AVS to 10k service? Presumably it's something that can be set on Vag-com to prevent the annoying service indicator displaying.

Cheers,
Glen

Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years regardless of use, due to degradation(sp?).

Haldex oil is every 20k miles, and Haldex filter is every 40k miles.

Sparkplugs (They are expensive and a PITA to change) are good for 20k miles apparently, but I would do it every 10k miles in your car, since it's running big BHP.

Cheers Jojo,
I'll have a look at when my haldex oil was last changed then. I think it was over 20k miles ago you know.

Out of interest, how you getting on with using Bilstein dampers with your Eibach springs?
Oh and are you running larger roll bars?

Cheers,
Glen

Out of interest, how you getting on with using Bilstein dampers with your Eibach springs?
Oh and are you running larger roll bars?

Cheers,
Glen

I'm running standard roll bars with my set up Glen, the car really does need uprated ARBs to make it handle, unless you have firm coilovers. It handles ok, not spectacular, only slightly better than standard, not helps my my 19" rims though. The ride is good though, and damping control over OE shocks is vastly improved, I can brake later into corners without worrying the ABS is going to kick in and it's more planted when I power out of corners. I tried an S3 on coilovers running OE 17s, and that handled like it was on rails, but the ride was horrible, bouncing all over the place like the tyres was the only give for suspension movements.

Cheers Jojo.

Yes, I was told by Backdraft that if I uprated my dampers, I'd also have to upgrade my roll bars too.

So you would recommend the Bilstein dampers over Koni?

Don't think I'll be going for coilovers. Too expensive in my opinion for the kind of driving I'll be doing.

Cheers Jojo.

Yes, I was told by Backdraft that if I uprated my dampers, I'd also have to upgrade my roll bars too.

So you would recommend the Bilstein dampers over Koni?

Don't think I'll be going for coilovers. Too expensive in my opinion for the kind of driving I'll be doing.

I can't comment on the Koni's, I've never tried them, I went for the Bilstein's on recommendation from Glenn(EssThree) in his Star Performance posts, and the set I have came with the Eibach springs at a good price. With regards to ARBs, I think you need uprated shocks to match the ARBs and not the otherway round for them to be more effective, but I'm no suspension guru, so what do I know lol.