Recaros - are they already heated?

AlexStanley

Reaction score
Website
www.alexstanley.co.uk
Way back in the heady days of the 'old' audi-sport.net someone mentioned that they thought the Recaros in the S3 already had the heating elements built-in - makes sense from a cost of manufacture point of view I guess.

Can anyone verify this? If that's the case, then how can I get my heated seats to work? Do I just have to get hold of a different panel for the climate control unit to include the heated seat settings, or is it more complicated than that?

Here's hoping someone has the answer - my bum was cold in my car this morning!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers

Alex.

They have already got the elements, but the cost of wiring, and new switches/dash element is so expensive that there was no real point doing it IIRC.

Hi Alex. I'm in the same position as you. Just started looking at this quite seriously now. The other site (www.*********.net) had a thread called "Leather Interior" in the A3/S3 forum. It had a wiring diagram but didn't look that great. Mate at work has a TT and the online manual thingie. I'm going to see what his seat switches are like first. Haven't priced the S3 switches yet.

Sure you could easily put the switches elsewhere such that they are subtle enough.

I'll update this with any more info I get.

I've been thinking about this as well

i emailed VAG Parts or whatever they are called these days about the panel and switches but never got a reply. I'd only want to do it with the correct panel and switches - got the making of a group buy this??

Audi will probably price the switches and panels sot hat it costs more than the factory fit option, but how expensive can a couple of switches and the panel be? I was hoping the wire may be there already for the switches.

I mailed Martyn at VAGParts as well. He's gonna wonder what's going on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I looked at the TT manual. It may be different from the S3, but it looks like there are two power lines to the seat and two earths. One *looks* like a control, the other I guess a power feed for the heating itself. Assuming the wiring isn't to difficult to get at on the seat itself, I can't see it being toooooo difficult.

[ QUOTE ]
Justin said:
I was hoping the wire may be there already for the switches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I was hoping this too ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If they do stuff like pre-wire for a CD changer, I can't see why they wouldn't pre-wire for other options as well? Obviously someone can correct me if I'm wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Group buy sounds good to me - the other option is trying to see if a scrappy like allaudi.co.uk has a few panels in stock...

Cheers

Alex.

Ok, just off the phone to the Audi Dealer. News isn't good though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

They say that the seats do *not* have the heating elements built in and that there is *no* wiring fitted as standard. They could be wrong though, I'm still going to look at my seats, unless someone has already done this???

The switches are £26 + VAT (not bad), but the facia is about £370+VAT. ***!!! If the seats do have it I think I'd just put the switches elsewhere!

Weekend project, check out the seats if I get time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Mark R said:

Ok, just off the phone to the Audi Dealer. News isn't good though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

They say that the seats do *not* have the heating elements built in and that there is *no* wiring fitted as standard. They could be wrong though, I'm still going to look at my seats, unless someone has already done this???

The switches are £26 + VAT (not bad), but the facia is about £370+VAT. ***!!! If the seats do have it I think I'd just put the switches elsewhere!

Weekend project, check out the seats if I get time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! *falls off his chair*

I'm due to speak to the audi dealer down here today anyway, so I'll quiz them too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fingers crossed eh?

Cheers

Alex.

IIRC, when I last checked my interior manual from ERWIN (its started asking for my password again and wont accept it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif) The sport seat comes with a subtitute part that takes up the space of the heading element that has to be cut out and element glued in if being replaced. In my case (Sport seats) there is only wiring for the side airbags. Audi seems to only put the bare mimimum wiring in. What facial are you talking about - the dash plate? why would that need to be replaced? It surely only needs to be removed 1st to get the blanking plates out for the switches and get wiring in. The up with the carpet I suppose, then......, then...... (yup considered it too)

The facia part is where the heater control go, next to the climate control on the facelifted models. IIRC on older A3/S3s the controls are at the top of the center area, not near the bottom.

Wonder if you can buy the heating elements... might be a pain to fit though!!

Ahh, I now see what you mean (I have pre-facelift model) I have pulled a Mk2 golf GTi seat apart to sort a snapped seat release cable (noticed it had been done before as there were too many snapped ends in the seat/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)It wasn't too bad, a bit messy as bits of foam ended up everwhere. Had to bend back lots of metal tabs to remove cloth but I believe the Audi's may be stapled. If I can get the Erwin manual working again I'll check as it tells you how to replace a knacked one. BTW, my brother says the heater elements are about £30 each (2 per seat) on Saabs so maybe they could be about that mark too?

I just had a call from Paul at VAGParts. For my car (price may be different for earlier models) the switches are £20 + VAT, nicely cheaper than Audi. Nothing on the facia.

He's not sure about whether the seats are pre-wired or not. There certainly doesn't seem to be any heating elements parts that you can buy and apparently Audi don't sell whole seats, just parts.

[ QUOTE ]
Mark R said:

The facia part is where the heater control go, next to the climate control on the facelifted models. IIRC on older A3/S3s the controls are at the top of the center area, not near the bottom.

Wonder if you can buy the heating elements... might be a pain to fit though!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, the earlier <MY2001 cars had the switches in blanking plates up by the rear demister switch. That in itself will save you cash as there is no facia to replace. If someone wants to have a look at the visible wiring on their non-heated seats, then I can check my heated versions for comparison this weekend.

Let me know,

Ben

Just spoke to the dealership I use, who thought that it would be prohibitavely expensive.

He said that the elements *won't* be in the seats so they would have to strip each seat down and put the elements in, add the wiring loom, relays etc. - I don't know whether he was trying to discourage me from doing it, but that's what he said!

This is becoming something of a challenge now...

Cheers

Alex.

Eeeeek. Maybe it's true. I'll try to look at the seats over the weekend. Ben, if you get a chance it would be useful to compare wire count coming out of the seat.

Will do Mark.

Alex, you weren't speaking with the Dovercourt parts department were you? My brother had a facinating conversation about A3/S3 1999/2000 Halogen/Xenon bulbs this morning. Bloke didn't know his arris from his elbow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ohh, Ben why does that sound so familiar! I so love going to Dovercourt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

Chris.

Heh, no I avoid going to Dovercourt at all costs!!! (Interestingly the Dovercourt VW dealership *right next door* is excellent...).

No, I go to the dealership in Swindon - used to be called Vincents Audi, now called Swindon Audi.

Cheers

Alex.

Have you tried Millhouse in Bath, apparently they are supposed to be much better!

Dovercourt lost my custom after they charged me £15 to take the radio out of my car as they wouldn't sell me the extraction tools, and I didn't want to scratch the dash. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
ChrisT said:
Have you tried Millhouse in Bath, apparently they are supposed to be much better!

Dovercourt lost my custom after they charged me £15 to take the radio out of my car as they wouldn't sell me the extraction tools, and I didn't want to scratch the dash. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thieves! Harold Wood did it for free /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I took a look for the wiring up at the dashboard and couldn't see any there, but I couldnt see in too well - they could be down under/behind the radio etc, but I dont think there are there at all. (hope I'm wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif)

Quotes I have heard from dealers before:

your VR6 has had a new cambelt (they have chains)

you cannot retrofit cruise *because* of the drive-by-wire throttle (DBW is exactly why you *can* do this)

blank look on dealers face when asked to code my central locking to auto-lock (until I told him the instructions were on the passenger seat).

So, never believe a dealer!

[ QUOTE ]
ChrisT said:

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh the stories I could tell you about Dovercourt!!!!

Let's just say I will *never* go there - I used to drive all the way to Listers Audi in Stratford on Avon to get my car serviced rather than go to Dovercourt - extreme measures I know but hey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Alex.

That is a bit far! But if you went up the A46 its not a bad drive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Still do you think we should go stick a few stories in the dealer forum, as the post there atm isn't very reflective of the service I've recieved.

Chris.

Ok, just had a quick look under the seat. I can only see two connections. One if yellow with a few cables. I presume that's for the airbag.

The other is red and has two cables, but the connector has space for about 6 cables. They cables are quite hefty, so I guess that's the power seat movement.

Need some more time to take some stuff to bits I think.

Here's a few pics of the underneath of me Recaros.

Hope it helps,

Ben

Hi Ben. Thanks. I'll need to take some pics to establish what wires are coming out of the seat. Didn't think of that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

Looks like your wiring is somewhat different though, so the elements might not be in the seats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

No probs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you need any more pics etc let me know.

Cheers

Ben

Back to this old problem.

It's getting a bit chilly out and I wondered if this deserved some more attention.

Ben, once again, thanks for those pictures. I looked round the front of my seats and didn't see any extra connectors. However, today I've just looked at the back (DOH!) and found a nice connector with brown and brown/blue (I think) cable on it.

It's not attached to anything. As you can imagine I'm kinda curious if this connector is used for those that have heated seats. Anyone willing to take a look for me?

This was sparked off by looking at the ETKA CD. This could be back on....

I'm seriously tempted to stick 12v into the connector, but I'll resist for now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Have you downloaded the a3 interior PDF from my homepage? It gives a few details about the seats and heating element. I would really like the wiring diagram /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

Khufu, yes thanks, that looks like picture from Bens car, aside from a little colour difference. It confirms the middle connector is for the seat heating. I suspect, and could be wrong, that the single connector in my seat contains the NTC + and Heater + connections. This is what I'll check tomorrow with the multi-meter and resistance to ground.

If you have a pic of the wiring for the seat heating switches, that would be great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Couldn't get anything to work, don't know what the hell is going on with those cables. Here's what I tried :

Each to ground for resistance. Both in excess of 2000K. Bad sign
Checked again one from to the other resistance, same result as above.
Ok, let's apply power and check any flowing current on each terminal.
Zip, nothing, zilch.
Ok, check if current can flow from one connector to the other with 12V applied. Again, nothing.

This still poses the question as to why the connector is there. I can't see well enough under the seat to quite figure out where the cable is going. It *looks* like it's merging with the main power cable from the front, then feeding into the seat itself.

I can also only see the airbag wire going from the base to the seat back, but that's not to say the wire couldn't be at the othsr side hidden away.

Guess for now guys it looks like it can't be done. The only way I can see out of this is if there's some wiring under the seat which just isn't connected and I can't see it. Alex, if you get some time, take a look incase I've missed anything.