best HU for A3

paul_brad

Reaction score
getting a replacement HU for my A3... what do people think as the ideal cd tuner, trying its best to look similar to the dash surrounds, climate control etc!

gander and comment:

b_cdm9823rr.jpg

dxz538r.jpg

DEH1530R.jpg

0011372_03_lrg.jpg

15.jpg

Audi = style and quality, agreed?

Then the only possible option is the Alpine HU.
Sony comes a close second, but alpine for me is just the apitomy of ICE.

See what others say...

Happy hunting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

well, for me, looks rule over features, sound quality and price, believe it or not! But anything from £70 to £170 is considered. I really have trailed all ICE sites, and obviosuly you can see where Im going with the red illuminations etc.

[ QUOTE ]
noodle said:
Audi = style and quality, agreed?

Then the only possible option is the Alpine HU.
Sony comes a close second, but alpine for me is just the apitomy of ICE.

See what others say...

Happy hunting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Quality wise, alpine takes it. Looks wise, they dont. Personally i think there are far too many buttons and it looks untidy. If they did it in a menu system on-screen it would be MUCH MUCH better IMO.

b_monza7887.jpg

The perfect HU for Audi i think.

£350 though!

Fair point. I've been out of the ICE arena for a while and I must admit I do like the look of the Becker HU's.

Maybe they do more suit the reserved look of an Audi. The Jury's still out on this one...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No doubt about it, that Becker one looks absolutely mint. But its too expensive for me!

Need to replace my sony which is currently on its journey up sh*t creek!... when the time comes and i HAVE a spare £350 lying about, i will get the becker i think...but at the moment, i can live with only playing SOME cd's when its in the mood to play them! Can think of better thing to spend on at the moment

[ QUOTE ]
paul_brad said:
No doubt about it, that Becker one looks absolutely mint. But its too expensive for me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Tis a little expensive.

have you thought of checking out ebay? you could get a much better unti second hand for a good price!

Rich

Try Panasonic models with red screen. I'd say they fit best in the front panel, they look like they've always been there and don't shine there. They just are there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Personally I've got Panasonic CQ-RDP113P, but this model isn't on the webpage (there's no red models on the webpage?). Might not be the best what comes to features, but as to look, it fits better on the console than the Audi Concert /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Yak

...i cant find any evidence of that Panasonic one? Theres this one, that is nearly your product number:

cq-rdp113.jpg

not bad, if it had red lights instead of orange... tell me more!

IMO panasonics look a bit cheap, and the actual sounds quality/features isnt all that great either... Just me tho

go for the Alpine range, you get clean sound from them compared to most!!

Hi Folks,

First post on here, veteran of a figure you could count on one hand over on the Audiworld forums (heh!) - most of them about ICE though...

On the Head Unit thing... I've recently installed a Blaupunkt DAB-54, that one is a little on the pricey side too, but it is pretty feature packed, and you can change the illumination to pretty much whatever you want. I think it'll do 4096 colours for the backlighting and a couple of hundred for the buttons.

I'll post some piccies of it doing it's thing to the growing install page at http://www.robvanguard.co.uk/a3/install/ if anyone's interested.

Regards,

Rob.

I think that one is a wee bit expensive...
however! news is, I've got a brand new Becker Mexico 7337 winging over from Germany for about £170 including postage!
(Ive got to do a bank transfer tomorrow). I was watching a couple on Ebay in Germany, but got beaten by a euro on both of em! (They went for about £114, so they were only a bit cheaper than brand new anyway)