Wiper arm removal

Reaction score
I'm looking at fitting a boost gauge and following advice from a member of the forum was looking at routing the wiring through a box that is under the plenum chamber. To get to this you have to remove thye wiper arms.
Easier said than done. It seems mine are siezed on. Undid the two 13mm bolts that hold the arm onto the splines and tried removing the wiper arms, its stuck solid. Tried wd40 and gently tapping with a hammer but no joy.
Is there some other way of removing them i dont know about or are they generally siezed on?
Failing this anyone else suggest a suitable point to pass the connections through to the boost gauge?

I lifted the arm and wobbled it side to side, if that makes sense, and it came free. You can get a small puller on there if you like.
When refitting, smear a small amount of copper slip and they won't stick again.

Tried all that.Its not just me being an idiot then. Its siezed on there good and proper. Just gonna have to persevere and hope it eventuallly comes off!!

I used an open end spanner to remove my wipers, forgot what size, but you have one of the tips indeu the arm and the other on the end of the spindle then lever it out, works a treat.

plus gas them for an hour or two. Then liftt o 90 degrees and wiggle and they will come off!

Seriously guys is there a trick, techneak on removing the wipers, ive just had a bash at mine and i swear the motors going to pop out if i pull, tug, waggle any more haha.

Okay so if you don;t want buy the tool then yes there is a sort of technique.
If you just grab where you can and pull then the arm will not come off the splines squarely.
I know it sounds counter-intuitive but I found the best way to get mine off was to actually push down towards the windscreen round about the hinge area and pull with fingertips at the opposite side of the splined spinde. I just pushed and released a couple of times at the hinge and they came off fairly easily after that.

Think i know what you mean lol, going to try some big **** pliers lol, if that doesnt work off to machine mart.

I just pulled mine really hard and it snapped. I did get quite frustrated with it to be fair...

£32 for a new one, and it squeaks!

So same idea as using pliers?

Just went out to take this pic just for you lol, if you don't have access to a puller but have a 19mm open end spanner to hand then position it like this, and lever upwards, this will just pop off and no damage to spline. :icon_thumright:

19112009229.jpg

Legend, how come yours look so clean and new, your cars older than mine and my spindles are knackered haha.

Well the 19mm spanner didnt work jo :noway:, ended up going to halfrauds and borrowing a wiper arm removal tool, you should have heard the noise the arms made when i popped them off, thought id broke something, no way would they have came off overwise.

Anyway all done and they look amazin, soooo much better than the old ****.

Well the 19mm spanner didnt work jo :noway:, ended up going to halfrauds and borrowing a wiper arm removal tool, you should have heard the noise the arms made when i popped them off, thought id broke something, no way would they have came off overwise.

Anyway all done and they look amazin, soooo much better than the old ****.

Fair enough, it worked for me on both cars, not going to try now though, they are probably well knackered by now.