Volks AutosJMB Retrofits
    Section-5.net

Status

A3 1.9 TDi advice please

Hey, I'm considering buying an A3 1.9 TDi once I get rid of my 96' A4 2.6 Quattro and just wondering if there's anything I should look out for as I'm new to the TDi range...any flaws or things I need to know and to look out for, how many K miles are they good too etc etc...?

Thanks in advance guys

Liam
    MY A4 QUATTRO FOR SALE - 1,995 - tel 07843686197

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    What can be said about the VAG TDI, its very reliable, if youre looking at the 8L shape A3 there a 3 engine outputs, 90bhp, 115bhp, and 130bhp, personally I would only look at the 6 speed 130s.

As for longevity its immense, 150k without any major problems is an easy target, mine has just passed 100k and it feels better every time I drive it.

The flywheel chatters a bit, dont mistake it for noise from the gearbox.

My TDI is a Quattro and that cause a few problems, some tuning parts for TDIs do not fit / work on the Quattros, however S3 / TT parts do fit.

I honestly cant think of any one thing that I would call a flaw with these motors, perhaps the smoke made when flooring it, and thats not too big a deal when you're leaving it behind is it?

If I were to buy another VAG TDI I could be tempted by either the VW GT TDI or the Seat Leon Cupra TDI, both 150bhp and fast as greased lightening without any modifications.

There are a few TDI / diesel specifc forums, not sure if it's the done thing to post their details in an open post so I'll send you a pm.
    Audi A3 1.9TDI Sport Quattro

Section-5.net

Status
    I've seen an A3 for 1995 with 135K on the clock and plenty of MOT on Autotrader...would that be any good?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by liam_bettinson View Post
    I've seen an A3 for 1995 with 135K on the clock and plenty of MOT on Autotrader...would that be any good?
    Not enough info to say if it's a good car or not, at 135k it should of had 2 timing belt changes, a big fat wedge of bills, MOT's and service records.
    Audi A3 1.9TDI Sport Quattro

4th Gear

Status
    Yep i have a 110 model with 80k and would recomment it although i havent been in a 130.

Mainly recommend it due to cost of running. it costs me a fraction of what my old 97 1.6 polo cost to run and is very nice to drive.

Also iirc if you chip the 110 it will run to 130bhp+ anyway, but 110 is plenty if you ask me. you can get away from lights quick enough and it pulls very well 30-70 which is ideal

But im not going to lie it is noisy compared to a petrol. Especially noisy when cold

Good luck

Section-5.net

Status
    Had a look at that one I mentioned above last night and it was no good, engine seemed sound from what little knowledge I know and the bodywork was ok but 3 of the wheel arches had plenty of blistering and needed 4 new tyres...plus he was only gonna give me a grand for my A4 and wanted a grand off me!! Cheeky bugger!

Andy

Status
    I've got a 1.9 TDI 130bhp.
    Very nice car - no problems apart from the front passenger electric window mechanism broke [common fault in A3s] so until I get that fixed I can't roll down that window :P

130s are pretty quick and you can remap them to about 185bhp with an uprated clutch.