A3 1.9 TDi advice please

liam_bettinson

Section-5.net
Reaction score
Website
www.section-5.net
Hey, I'm considering buying an A3 1.9 TDi once I get rid of my 96' A4 2.6 Quattro and just wondering if there's anything I should look out for as I'm new to the TDi range...any flaws or things I need to know and to look out for, how many K miles are they good too etc etc...?

Thanks in advance guys

Liam:icon_thumright:

What can be said about the VAG TDI, it’s very reliable, if you’re looking at the 8L shape A3 there a 3 engine outputs, 90bhp, 115bhp, and 130bhp, personally I would only look at the 6 speed 130’s.

As for longevity it’s immense, 150k without any major problems is an easy target, mine has just passed 100k and it feels better every time I drive it.

The flywheel chatters a bit, don’t mistake it for noise from the gearbox.

My TDI is a Quattro and that cause a few problems, some tuning parts for TDI’s do not fit / work on the Quattro’s, however S3 / TT parts do fit.

I honestly can’t think of any one thing that I would call a flaw with these motors, perhaps the smoke made when flooring it, and that’s not too big a deal when you're leaving it behind is it?

If I were to buy another VAG TDI I could be tempted by either the VW GT TDI or the Seat Leon Cupra TDI, both 150bhp and fast as greased lightening without any modifications.

There are a few TDI / diesel specifc forums, not sure if it's the done thing to post their details in an open post so I'll send you a pm.

I've seen an A3 for £1995 with 135K on the clock and plenty of MOT on Autotrader...would that be any good?

Not enough info to say if it's a good car or not, at 135k it should of had 2 timing belt changes, a big fat wedge of bills, MOT's and service records.

Yep i have a 110 model with 80k and would recomment it although i havent been in a 130.

Mainly recommend it due to cost of running. it costs me a fraction of what my old 97 1.6 polo cost to run and is very nice to drive.

Also iirc if you chip the 110 it will run to 130bhp+ anyway, but 110 is plenty if you ask me. you can get away from lights quick enough and it pulls very well 30-70 which is ideal

But im not going to lie it is noisy compared to a petrol. Especially noisy when cold

Good luck

Had a look at that one I mentioned above last night and it was no good, engine seemed sound from what little knowledge I know and the bodywork was ok but 3 of the wheel arches had plenty of blistering and needed 4 new tyres...plus he was only gonna give me a grand for my A4 and wanted a grand off me!! Cheeky ******!

I've got a 1.9 TDI 130bhp.
Very nice car - no problems apart from the front passenger electric window mechanism broke [common fault in A3s] so until I get that fixed I can't roll down that window :p

130s are pretty quick and you can remap them to about 185bhp with an uprated clutch.