Attacking the power to weight ratio.

pure

Reaction score
Does anybody have any good ideas with regards to making our S3/A3's lighter? And getting the power to weight ratio up a little. Some ideas I have:-

Remove sound proofing. - Don't really want to do this. Any1 any ideas how much weight this will save if it is done?

Purchase Titanium exaust. - Does anyone know if these exist for the S3. They are 1/4 the weight of a normal exaust apparently.

Remove Spare wheel and jack. - Just an idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Light weight alloys. (27lb approx? RS4 reps at the mo)

Purchase lighter Battery.
- You can purchase batteries that are 65% lighter but they cost a packet. (about £200-£250) And cant imagine them saving much weight either.

There are other options such as removing motors from the Seats etc etc etc, But I don't want to do anything like that!

If you could shed 100Kg's for the car, do you think it would make much difference?

[ QUOTE ]
pure said:
Does anybody have any good ideas with regards to making our S3/A3's lighter? And getting the power to weight ratio up a little. Some ideas I have:-

Remove sound proofing. - Don't really want to do this. Any1 any ideas how much weight this will save if it is done?

Purchase Titanium exaust. - Does anyone know if these exist for the S3. They are 1/4 the weight of a normal exaust apparently.

Remove Spare wheel and jack. - Just an idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Light weight alloys. (27lb approx? RS4 reps at the mo)

Purchase lighter Battery.
- You can purchase batteries that are 65% lighter but they cost a packet. (about £200-£250) And cant imagine them saving much weight either.

There are other options such as removing motors from the Seats etc etc etc, But I don't want to do anything like that!

If you could shed 100Kg's for the car, do you think it would make much difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doing all of this will make littel difference. Weight saving only makes a difference when you get seriosuly drastic! Like removing EVERYTHING that doesnt need to be there...but do this and the car wouldnt be very nice! Its easier to get the power up to compensate.

Rich

Why not rip out you rear leather seats, both front seats and replace with one carbon fibre driver's seat only.

After that, you could bin your alloy wheels and buy a set of 15"/16" steel wheels... they'll be a lot lighter than your alloys!

Then you could swap your chrome mirrors for plastic ones, that'll save you a couple of grams... I'll easy swap with you if you don't mind yellow wing mirrors?

You could also remove the electric windows motors and replace them with windy things.

You could also replace all the glass with thinner glass like what Renault do on the Clio 172 Cup. Or even better, replace all glass with perspex.

You could also replace you bonnet for a carbon bonnet. Hey... go the whole hog and replace all body panels with fibre glass replicas.

And to make it really light... you could lose some weight yourself!

Removal of the spare tyre will reduce the weight by 30Kg and you can carry a bottle of tyre weld.

Removal of a certain amount of wight say 80Kg will help with the cars handling and maybe knock a couple of tenths of a second off the 0-60/0-100 time.

Peugeot did it with the 106 and 206 Rallye and BMW with the M3 CSL although that did have a small Hp increase as well.

get rid of the back seats
heavy
get rid of your electric seats (if u have any) heavy
get rid of the unwanted plastic in your engine bay
take out ur glove box
take spare wheel out, take the boot cover out
swap the wheels for mega light OZ wheels
take all carpet out
take out CD stacker if there is one

[ QUOTE ]
cyuen said:
get rid of the back seats
heavy
get rid of your electric seats (if u have any) heavy
get rid of the unwanted plastic in your engine bay
take out ur glove box
take spare wheel out, take the boot cover out
swap the wheels for mega light OZ wheels
take all carpet out
take out CD stacker if there is one

[/ QUOTE ]
I though all S3's had electric seats!

How about the titanium exausts...has any1 fitted one, or know any1 that makes them for the S3's?

Think you would be better of having a big [censored] in the morning.