Fuel Filter

Just been out to look a mine. If you look under the where I mention its tucked up next to the side of the fuel tank in front of the rear suspension pivot.

Yup. It's a shiny Coke can lookin thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But be CAREFUL when changing. There are connectors on the hoses that I had to break in order to get mine off (And thenI glued them back in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
Yup. It's a shiny Coke can lookin thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But be CAREFUL when changing. There are connectors on the hoses that I had to break in order to get mine off (And thenI glued them back in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

uh.. ok.. i'll try not to break mine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What I meant was.... it's something to be aware of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And HOPEFULLY someone here knows how to solve/avoid the problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I think there is a retangular button on the connections that releases them (there is on the Golf)

Manual says "press release tabs".

Thanks for that Mr. Manual..............not!

Like excursion says, just gonna have ti find the magic button on them.

[ QUOTE ]
neil.c said:
Is the fuel filter supposed to last the life of the car?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most certainly not!

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:
Manual says "press release tabs".

Thanks for that Mr. Manual..............not!

Like excursion says, just gonna have ti find the magic button on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Manuals are ****** useless! the haynes manual for the a4 just says "remove fuel line connection"...im like " yeah nice one F******!" after my neck is hurting fromlying on the ground for 20 minuites trying to figure the ****** thing out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Thanks for your replies... will give it another go tomorrow!

If i resort to levering it off, snap it, p*ss fuel everywhere and in my mad panic spark the wrench on the bottom of the car, im blaming my death on you guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

p.s. when you find the button have the caps off the new filter ready to plug the old or your drinking petrol

[ QUOTE ]
Andy bS3 said:
p.s. when you find the button have the caps off the new filter ready to plug the old or your drinking petrol

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You know, it occurs to me every now and then, that people chuck all sorts of silly money on doing 'things' to their car yet are too tight to take it to a garage to get a mechanical job done 'coz I can save a few quid and do a better job myself' - suppose that's how they can afford to chuck silly money at their car doing 'other' things!

And before anyone gets a strop on over this post, it's not aimed at ANYONE in particular as we've all been there ourselves! (If not so enthusiastically or obsessively!)

Think the children in the Forum need reminding of the following:

"And before anyone gets a strop on over this post, it's not aimed at ANYONE in particular as we've all been there ourselves! (If not so enthusiastically or obsessively!)"

Touchy or what!

And maybe you need to remove your head from your... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I know your post wasnt aimed at 'anyone' but neither was mine. Was simply making a point.

So whos touchy?!

These boards arent for advice like "take it to somewhere who know how to do it"... they are for getting advice. When i ask "how do i..." i dont really (as i suspect other feel the same) want replies like yours as they are not helpful.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
And maybe you need to remove your head from your... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I know your post wasnt aimed at 'anyone' but neither was mine. Was simply making a point.

So whos touchy?!

These boards arent for advice like "take it to somewhere who know how to do it"... they are for getting advice. When i ask "how do i..." i dont really (as i suspect other feel the same) want replies like yours as they are not helpful.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it was aimed at someone Sunny Jim, ME, otherwise why quote my post!

As for your above, the BEST advice SOMETIMES is to say 'take it to someone/somewhere who has both the knowledge and equipment to do the job coz u have the potential to open up a hole lot of wopass if you don't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif. Accept that FACT and get over it!

Now Now boys keep your hand bags on the floor. Time for a beer i think stay calm chaps and wupass for anyone write.shake hands.

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
4SilverRings - Both your posts have been antagonistic.

[/ QUOTE ]

One can not antagonise someone who does not take offence - so the fact that one takes offence from, and I quote (again!), "And before anyone gets a strop on over this post, it's not aimed at ANYONE in particular as we've all been there ourselves! (If not so enthusiastically or obsessively!)[which defacto would include MOI!]" has more to do with others over sensative hit the nail on the head is he talking about me god the truth hurts and I'm going to stick me two pennethworth in in support of me mate sensativities than the content of the quote!!!

We can debate the issue further if you (or anyone eles likes) but the fact will still remain that having written a post which included reference to myself, several people wanted to winge about the post in one form or another - touchy or what /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now, anyone else got any good 'I broke something really important on my very expensive car through not really knowing what I was doing and fixed it with glue so you can too' stories to share and enlighten the forum? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
FOLLOW ME said:
Now Now boys keep your hand bags on the floor. Time for a beer i think stay calm chaps and wupass for anyone write.shake hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would shake hands but people might have glue on theirs from botched DIY jobs and then we'd get stuck and look like two short planks!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hay Fellas what you all doing up at this time my excuss is im working nights. Should'nt ya all be down the night club pulling some old slapper??> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
[ QUOTE ]
4SilverRings said:
As for your above, the BEST advice SOMETIMES is to say 'take it to someone/somewhere who has both the knowledge and equipment to do the job coz u have the potential to open up a hole lot of wopass if you don't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif. Accept that FACT and get over it!

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you learn then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently we dont cos its for the "professionals" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
[ QUOTE ]
4SilverRings said:

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you learn then?

[/ QUOTE ]

The best way to learn is to be taught by a competent source - that way one doesn't have to do the job twice (or more!), resort to glue or calling for a tow having tried in vain to save a few bob and now being in a position where it would cost double! But some don't get a chance to learn from their mistakes, their pride and joy kills them in one way or another because they blunder in blindly where others fear to tread. Please note there is a difference between ‘learn’ and ‘experiment’ before prolonging the tedium of the debate.

Now get over yourself and accept the that my original post here was one to cause one to think about can I/should I and all to save money (and have some fun playing with our toys) - that fact that some see it as a derogatory statement detrimental to their 'status' and the way they manage their finances and affairs is completely irrelevant!

Any more for any more, ladies? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/kiss.gif

[ QUOTE ]
4SilverRings said:
The best way to learn is to be taught by a competent source - that way one doesn't have to do the job twice (or more!), resort to glue or calling for a tow having tried in vain to save a few bob and now being in a position where it would cost double! But some don't get a chance to learn from their mistakes, their pride and joy kills them in one way or another because they blunder in blindly where others fear to tread. Please note there is a difference between ‘learn’ and ‘experiment’ before prolonging the tedium of the debate.

Now get over yourself and accept the that my original post here was one to cause one to think about can I/should I and all to save money (and have some fun playing with our toys) - that fact that some see it as a derogatory statement detrimental to their 'status' and the way they manage their finances and affairs is completely irrelevant!

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that's where we differ then darling. You like to follow others, I like to lead and learn for myself.

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
[ QUOTE ]
4SilverRings said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that's where we differ then darling. You like to follow others, I like to lead and learn for myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

As do I

For anyone interested in how to change the filter :-
Give the connections a good spray with release oil wipe off have a look for a small button on the connection press it with your nail or a small flat head screwdriver (remembering to have the plugs off your new filter handy to plug the old)and pull off the connections, swap the filter with the new and push the connections back on job done.

Knowledge needed = erm a crash course on how to push a button
Tools required = one finger nail

while not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Andy bS3 said:
Give the connections a good spray with release oil wipe off have a look for a small button on the connection press it with your nail or a small flat head screwdriver (remembering to have the plugs off your new filter handy to plug the old)and pull off the connections, swap the filter with the new and push the connections back on job done.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Easier said than done in my case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif It was only after about 30 minutes of doing this that I decided just to cut the
fekr.gif
out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
[ QUOTE ]
Andy bS3 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Easier said than done in my case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif It was only after about 30 minutes of doing this that I decided just to cut the
fekr.gif
out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah soo Grasshopper, Andy BS3 lie like smug git secondhand car salesman on filter change /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
fekr.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A simple case of not pushing the right buttons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i thought i change my filter, seems straight forward after thw write up on here, but only one of the connections of fuel lines has the special button, the other does not. How does the other one come off has i dont want to break it