Aftermarket Bose Upgrade

1600sport

Reaction score
Hi All,

My A3 currently has a standard Audio setup, which is OK I suppose.

Is it possible, if I take my car to Audi to upgrade to a Bose system with the Sub; how much is it? Is it worth it?

I don't fancy fitting one myself ripping out all one side of the car to wiring it up to the HU.

Cheers

If you search for Bose you'll find it's been discussed before, just a few times!

I think it'll be fair to say that the majority of people prefer an aftermarket system to the Bose.

I have the BOSE system in my car, and although it seems fine, and I'm not going to upgrade it, I still think that you are way better off going for an aftermarket set up. In my previous car, I had a fairly good head unit and just a decent pair of 6 X 9's, but I still think it was better than the BOSE. Much cheaper, and likely to be beter in every way.

Even the non-Bose setup has a sub in the boot!

I would say from reading the above that you son't have Bose.

Cheers
Rich.

The Bose sub has two speakers and the non has one

There are "BOSE" badges on the front speaker grills too

The 2001 model I had with Bose didn't have the logos either...

MY01, BOSE Speakers with logos on the speaker grills and the "BOSE" message on the Concert HU when it's first switched on.

BOSE is OK (better than stock), but you really are better of with an aftermarket solution which will be cheaper to purchase and install, sound better and if done carefully could be transplanted into your next car.

If you'd prefer to keep the Audi Headunit (and deter would-be theives by keeping the "Stock" appearance?), you may be able fit an aftermarket Multichannel Power-Amp and speakers that are fed from the "Line Out" on the Audi Headunit.

It's a compromise that the purists will wrinkle their noses at, but worth considering. You have the option of replacing the Audi Headunit with an aftermarket one at a later date if you are unhappy with it.

One of my pet-projects is to replace the BOSE Speakers and Amp in my car with Pioneer kit and an AndyMac-SuperSub(TM) - keeping the Audi Headunit - when time & finances permit.

Mark.