What is broken ?

Effect

Reaction score
2 Issues here

I have just taken off my aftermarket 18" alloys as the tyres on the front are knackered and i cant afford to replace them atm, so i put on my originals with basicly 4 brand new tyres on them.

issue 1 - the tyres I have just taken off (front only) are worn to the wear marker on the outside and have wire poking out on the inside what does this mean ?

issue 2 - I have had for a while now juddering when braking, now me putting 2 and 2 together i came to the conclusion that the disks are warped, my plan was to replace disks and pads this weekend, however i put on my oem alloys and the juddering disapears for a short while, so i keep braking to test it and slowly but surely the juddering came back, what does this mean ?

regards
James

when did you last have it tracked up ????could be camber and toe out of align.

if you had no other probs I would have said low tyre pressure

Well wheni refitted original alloys earlier i went straight to garage to check pressures, as they had been sat for about a year, they were all around 20 PSI.

I presume you didn't leave them at 20psi?
If your tyres were down to the steel you'd get all sorts of problems, don't you ever look at your tyres! That's some serious alignment issue.

I presume you didn't leave them at 20psi?
If your tyres were down to the steel you'd get all sorts of problems, don't you ever look at your tyres! That's some serious alignment issue.

Yeh i checked them before but didnt realise the inside had worn so badly, i knew the tyres were almost down to the marker so i planned to change them this weekend anyway.

Problems, yeh tell me about it, how about a hole appearing on the inside of the tyre and emptying it of air just as I am slowing down and pulling in from overtaking someone.

as for pressures yeh I knew these tyres had been stood for a year so i fitted the wheels then drove to garage a mile away and put more air in them all before i did anything else.

I'll try and get booked in for a 4 wheel laser alignment this weekend, what about the braking issues, what is that gonna be ?

If when braking you have serious judder it is most likely down to alignment/tracking, given the wear on your tyres it looks well out & needs fixing asap or the other tyres will do same thing.

Juddering when breaking is also a sign of warped discs & a simple disc shaving will resolve that which isnt that much & alot less than new discs/fitting, but do the alignment 1st then see if it improves & if not get the discs shaved.

Tracking!!

Get some new tyres on, get them aligned and put upto the right pressure and that should hopefully sort your issues out, see if you still get the noise after you have all of this done, no point tackling an issue that might not be there (in turn, hopefully saving you some money as well)