Newbie Q - Need some help advice - Misfire

Jimsaudi

Reaction score
Hello all.

I am a newbie to the forums, so please go gentle.

I recently purchased a modified 1.8T Sport off a Forum member. Nice car although it seems to misfire / jolt either when coming off load / changing gear especially between 2500 - 3500 rpm. It also does not seem to be around the 240bhp figure that the last remap took it too.

Having searched the forums i see a misfire / underpower can be due to coil packs / Air leaks. There doesnt seem to be any splits in the rubber or silicone so im ruling out air leaks, is there anything else that can be causing this problem.

I put in new plugs, but this has not made a difference. Ive ordered a VAGCOM but when it arrives i wont really know what i will be looking for to assist my diagnosis. If anyone can suggest or offer help on how to go about fixing this problem i will be most grateful

Thanks

James

Welcome to the forum James,

Have a look through the vag.com owners sticky at the top of the forum, there may be a member near to you who can help until your vag.com arrives.

When it does arrive, you can run a full scan (engine, brakes etc) and it'll come up with any fault codes it finds

Hope you get it sorted

Mike

What year is the car?

If it is 2001 then coil packs could be 1st choice but like Mike A3 says VAG-COM will help

Thanks guys. Well hopefully VAGCOM arrives soon. Typically i now have a ABS problem as well. These things all seem to com together! Will post again once i get my head around VAGCOM.

JT

i would say coil packs mate, just done mine today,and now u mention it mine was a little hesitant when changing,getting on and off the throttle at that rpm range

I have a word doc that details how to log some stuff in vagcom that might help. PM me your email add