Nailed by a Fiat Turbo 20V

DamoS3Q

Reaction score
I was not a happy chappy on sunday. Was taking a treck down the beach with a few friends and we pulled up next to each other at some traffic lights. Both looked over and grinned.

Lights turned green and he was off there was nothing i cud do to keep up. flew away! Yea i was five up but this thing took off.

Any one had any similar experinces with a Fiat Coupe 2.0 Turbo?

Damo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thats 220bhp in a car that weighs practically nothing... are you really suprised you got 'nailed' ???

The extra weight will make a fair bit of difference!

Lets say that each person weighs 14 stone = 89kg... say 90kg to keep it simple.

1 person = 90kg
5 people = 450 kg

Let's just say the Fiat is standard...

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

BHP = 220
Torque = 233
0-60 is 6.5 secs

Unladen weight = 1310 + 1 person = 1400

Power to weight ratio = 220 / 1.4 = 157 bhp per ton

Your signature says you have been Revo'd... lets say 270 bhp

Audi S3

BHP = 210/225/270
Torque = 199.1/206.5/280
0-60 = 6.8/6.9/unknown secs

Unladen weight = 1400/1420 + 5 people = 1850/1870

Power to weight ratio = 270 / 1.85/1.87 = 146/144 bhp per ton

So you are down by 11-13 bhp per ton and that's not taking into account the possibilty of the Fiat has been modded!

[ QUOTE ]
Damo said:
I was not a happy chappy on sunday. Was taking a treck down the beach with a few friends and we pulled up next to each other at some traffic lights. Both looked over and grinned.

Lights turned green and he was off there was nothing i cud do to keep up. flew away! Yea i was five up but this thing took off.

Any one had any similar experinces with a Fiat Coupe 2.0 Turbo?

Damo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... Last year on the way back from inters, i had one of these down the A40. He was a single driver, and i was 3 up with a full set of alloys and a boot full of luggage, and still was passing him. I stopped at 120. With 5 people, you are VERY heavy, but he shouldnt have 'flew' away.

Rich

You obviously are not getting the Launch right then !

My mate has one of these Fiats and it is amazingly rapid but from the lights I can get about 3 car lengths on him up to about 75 mph and then he just comes steaming through like a raging bull. My S3 is Standard to !

His is pushing 280 BHP and 275 ft/lb of torque.

Time for the chip i think !

Your are all right thats what i was thinking, must be the weight adavantage. i dont think i got the best lauch of the lights too. Also i forgot to take ESP off so it cut in ever so slightly.

Very impressive little car, Im pretty sure he had soemthing under the bonnet. I hope so anyway!!

Carryin 4 people does make a hell of a lot of difference, oh well, best make sure not to try it on with one of them in the furture.

Yeah I used to have one and my 265 bhp S3 doesn't feel anything as quick off the line, and perhaps faster still on the straigh but because it's front wheel drive it handles like a wheelbarrow full of custard, so what you loose on the off you gain on the twisty bits.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifHi - first post on the forum, am usually wondering around the Tyresmoke forum - this thread might be on interest - Fiat Coupe 20VT

Being honest I love my Audi but the Fiat does have strengths and as with all cars - weaknesses as well. We have had the Coupe for a couple of years and it is fun, a little raw in power terms but that’s the way the other half has chosen to set it up.

As for handling - we have had certain occasions where we have had both cars out and although I am not running 210/225bhp as with the S3's I found it very hard to keep up in the dry, once past the apex of the corner the Coupes torque takes over and its off - so the handling I would say is very good for a FWD car.

But - the standard suspension on the Coupe seems wear quite quickly as it the car is not very well balanced in being that it has over 50% weight loading on the front, so the front suspension is worked very hard.

Since my post on TS my hubby's Coupe has been developed further but as an approx guess I think that he is nearing the 300bhp area - I’m lead to understand that the Coupe is becoming easier to mod now which I’m not too happy about due to more money being spent on his car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

As for acceleration – I think that he has mentioned that some of the Coupes not too heavily modified have been doing 13.7 seconds over a ¼ mile at Santa Pod.

[ QUOTE ]
JezyG said:
Nice car but bad electrics and the handling is non too great unless some serious suspension mods are put in place...quick in a straight line though.

"Fiat Coupe a Ferrari Wanabee with Maplins DIY elctrics and an engine that was due to go into the latest Fiat tractor"

Aplogies to existing or have been Coupe owners /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Blimey. I only expected to have to put up with 10 pence short's comment on Type R /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Never expected them to be copied and pasted around other forums /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

Having owned a 225 Leon Cupra R and own a 270BHP Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo I can say from experiance (the misses driving the Leon) that I could pull away easy as pie, no comparision