engine differences by their codes?

leshkin

Hold my beer...
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi All,

I always wondered about 1.8T engine codes and thought I'd settle this in my head once and for all..

One thing I can't find is a definitive and correct list of technical differences between these engines.The closest things I found was this: http://www.qpeng.com/faqs/engine_faqs/all_these_engine_codes_can_you_explain_what_they_mean.html

My S3 is 03 plate with an AMK engine and just wondered how different it is to the BAM engine, with 225hp. They both have the bigger K04 turbo, Variable Valve Timing, Drive By Wire and on paper seem to be identical apart from their power output rating.

It seems like the main difference is the ECU map from factory and remapping them seems to result in similar output.

Anyone know if there are any mechanical differences I missed? Different valves or something?

Thanks.

I think I just answered my own question:

--- quote ---
Engine Diffrences:
210 is an AMK Engine code, 225 is BAM.

210bhp/199lbft vs 225ps/208lbft. Both cars remap to practically the same. The 210 is actually 212ps, and the 225(ps) is actually 222bhp.

ECU Code for the 225 has an “A” on the end.

There were always rumours that the 210 had stronger internals (20mm wrist pins and different rods), but it seems that this rumour stemmed from the early Audi S3 APY engine (also 210bhp) having stronger rods. However, Yumann's engine (AMK) build thread, he kindly measured the gudgeon pins for us, and they are 20mm. The later BAM engine are supposed to have 19mm wrist pins.

From ETOS and ETKA the block and piston set for AMK :06A 103 101 J and for the BAM : 06A 103 101 J, conrod for AMK : 027 198 401 B, conrod for BAM : 027 198 401 B. So if they are different, nobody told SEAT Parts.

Both engines have VVT, but this is apparently for emissions rather than a VTEC style torque/power shift. Although most cars definitely pull again at about 4,000 rpm). Originally we thought the VVT actuation was different (one mechanical the other hydraulic) but we now understand them to be the same. Again, it is the APY (early 210 S3 engine, never fitted to the LCR) that has mechanical VVT actuation and possibly where the rumour started. Both AMK and BAM have Electro-hydraulic VVT actuation.

The turbo (K04-23 from Borg-Warner), manifold & exhaust are all the same.
--- end quote ---

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=115851

Hope this helps somebody in an argument ;)

Hey bro, nice to see a familiar face, so to speak :)

Not really had any response on this... would be nice to have a reliable reference for this though.

Go and say hi in the welcome section and show off your S3 to everyone ;)

Yeah I had an apy & everyone I spoke to said apy 210 had a better engine for tuning overall, so are we saying this is actually chinese whispers as these guys who I spoke with ages ago were very reputable & really knew there stuff.

My S3 was absolutely flawless & feck me did it go with Revo, 7 years with me & new home while back, god I loved that car.

NHN, I agree a remapped S3 is a beast - as I recently found out :) I don't think that it matters what engine code it is as long as it's DBW.

The 1.8T engine is an amazing piece of engineering and as such has been used in such a wide range of VAG cars, that it is difficult to find reliable info on all of them as for every forum post stating one thing there are two saying completely oposite.

I did find a nice artcle discussing it in general and is good place to read up on the engine: http://www.torquecars.com/audi/18T-tuning.php

On a side note: I had a chat to Wak from VAG-Check on Saturday and he's got the original TT with about 350bhp. All that with standard internals and no reliability issues aparently. The more I find out about the engine, the more I like it - those Germans deffinitely know their engineering

Don't quote me on this but all S3 APY/AMK/BAM may have extra webbing in the casting of the block. Saw some photos from USA once. Should be 20mm pins for them all. APY was less advanced ECU with one lambda. Possibly large port inlet manifold and head for the APY which can aid for power increases.

Do you know how much torque the original 350bhp TT produced? (didn't even know they existed)

Sorry if I missled you on that mate... The TT I was refering to, was the 'original' 225 version (not the new updated one) and has been tuned to 350bhp through a bigger turbo/remaps etc... I guess I was just blabbering on, on how great the 1.8T engine is really...

Would be nice if they did make a 350bhp version... It would probably be called TT RS or something :)