Steering knock

glen_jai

Reaction score
Website
www.glenster.co.uk
When turning the wheel, lock-to-lock, I'm hearing some slight knocking which I think I can faintly feel through the steering wheel too.

Anyone any ideas what it could be?

Cheers,

Glen

Working from the top down. Steering UJ by your feet (currently need to replace mine as it's knocking), play in the rack pinion, track rod inner pivot, track rod end.

There is an adjuster underneath the rack to allow for wear in the for "rack" part fo the steering rack.
It's underneath the rack visible from where the column enters it, and looks like a great bigh inch and a half diameter disc. I think it has an allen bolt head or a big 21mil hex head.
The disc is a big grub screw and it is puchmarked at factory to stop it moving. But as the rack wears, you get some play and knocking, this grubscrew is adjustable and is a service item at later services on the 4 mo golfs for some reason! !
Just tighten it up a bit, (the puch marks with give with reasonable force), just go as tight as you can til the steering with engine on is binding a bit, then back the screw off about i/8th of a turn. At 100k miles, i managed one and a half extra turns on my mk4!!

Be careful though, if you overtighten it, the steering can bind, so drive careful for a few miles and if you feel it sticking a bit, back it off a bit more.
When happy with the adjustment, it is worth punching a new mark in the ally to hold it in position.

worked on my mk4........hence i had that rack to sell you!!

Sorry to bring up and old topic, but my rack seems to be on it's way out. How much do these go for and how much labour time is needed to fit it?

Is the adjustment but on these easy to get to. Do u have to remove any thing