Sky InsuranceVolks Autos

Thread: KO3s to a KO4

5th Gear

Status

KO3s to a KO4

Hi peeps.... what would be involved in upgrading the KO3s on my 1.8t Quattro sport 8L to a KO4 Turbo ???
    i've already got a full exhaust system from the turbo back taken from a BAM engined S3... does the KO4 bolt onto a different type of exhaust manifold ??
    1999 A3 Quattro 1.8T Pics >>HERE
    2002 A4 Avant quattro 1.9 TDi

2. # ADS
    ADS

Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

Status
    turbo, manifold, feed/return coolant, oil lines, downpipe, TIP

BTW check this:

http://briskoda.net/maintenance-perf...49/#post198834

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    I dont mean to be cheeky mate, but you can't have the full exhaust from a ko4 car on yours, as the downpipe exits the ko4 on the side and then turns down under the car. The ko3S downpipe simply comes off the underside of the turbo.

Having been in several different A3/S3's with various turbo's, I would say the 'upgrade' from ko3S to ko4 isn't really worth it, the difference is not huge.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Goodie Gum Drops

Status
    By the time you have put a ko4 on you may as well have fitted a BIG turbo and a nice manifold.
    Black S3

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    I dont mean to be cheeky mate, but you can't have the full exhaust from a ko4 car on yours, as the downpipe exits the ko4 on the side and then turns down under the car. The ko3S downpipe simply comes off the underside of the turbo.

Having been in several different A3/S3's with various turbo's, I would say the 'upgrade' from ko3S to ko4 isn't really worth it, the difference is not huge.
    yeah i appreaciate the different exit points of the turbo.... the exhaust is not fitted it's just sat in the garage it was a bargain i couldn't miss 35 for the full system off a BAM engined S3 from the turbo back.. cats, downpipe , the lot and all in exellent condition .... it looks a straight replacement for mine from the front of the cats right to the rear other than that i would have to cut an exit for it in the rear valance... but when i was looking at it.. as you say the turbo exit is different and thats why i asked the question as i was wondering if i was to get a cheap BAM exhaust manifold from somewhere and a K04 would i have the basis for a cheap upgrade... a remmap would be needed for the new turbo but what else ????
    Last edited by 666markyboy; 29th August 2008 at 22:32.
    1999 A3 Quattro 1.8T Pics >>HERE
    2002 A4 Avant quattro 1.9 TDi