KO3s to a KO4

666markyboy

Reaction score
Hi peeps.... what would be involved in upgrading the KO3s on my 1.8t Quattro sport 8L to a KO4 Turbo ???
i've already got a full exhaust system from the turbo back taken from a BAM engined S3... does the KO4 bolt onto a different type of exhaust manifold ??

I dont mean to be cheeky mate, but you can't have the full exhaust from a ko4 car on yours, as the downpipe exits the ko4 on the side and then turns down under the car. The ko3S downpipe simply comes off the underside of the turbo.

Having been in several different A3/S3's with various turbo's, I would say the 'upgrade' from ko3S to ko4 isn't really worth it, the difference is not huge.

By the time you have put a ko4 on you may as well have fitted a BIG turbo and a nice manifold.

I dont mean to be cheeky mate, but you can't have the full exhaust from a ko4 car on yours, as the downpipe exits the ko4 on the side and then turns down under the car. The ko3S downpipe simply comes off the underside of the turbo.

Having been in several different A3/S3's with various turbo's, I would say the 'upgrade' from ko3S to ko4 isn't really worth it, the difference is not huge.

yeah i appreaciate the different exit points of the turbo.... the exhaust is not fitted it's just sat in the garage it was a bargain i couldn't miss £35 for the full system off a BAM engined S3 from the turbo back.. cats, downpipe , the lot and all in exellent condition .... it looks a straight replacement for mine from the front of the cats right to the rear other than that i would have to cut an exit for it in the rear valance... but when i was looking at it.. as you say the turbo exit is different and thats why i asked the question as i was wondering if i was to get a cheap BAM exhaust manifold from somewhere and a K04 would i have the basis for a cheap upgrade... a remmap would be needed for the new turbo but what else ????