Replacing Tyres. Getting Tracking done?

metricspaces

Reaction score
Just bought a 1999 S3 and it has "Michelin MXM Pilot HX, 225/45/r17" on them at the front.

One of the tyres at the front burst and got mangled because I didn't stop soon enough.

So, I'm wondering whether I should get one replacement of the same make or just replace the front two altogether?

Some more info:

1) The tyres on the front had a bit of thread left, but certainly weren't new...would sticking one new one upset the tracking?

2) The two tyres on the back are a different (cheaper) make.

3) I'm in Ireland and finding it hard to get hold of "Michelin MXM Pilot HX"...would it be a bad idea to stick a different make of tyre on the front wheel?

4) The car is veering to the left as it is (i need to get the tracking done) so I'm wondering since it's already got a problem with tracking, would it be wiser to just replace both the front two tyres before getting the tracking done.

5) The front bushings were an advisory on the MOT - although the report said that they were not resulting in excessive movement

I've read about the problems people have had with the S3 veering to the left, and it sounds like it may not be easy to sort out, so I'm kinda thinking what I need to do (or the safest thing to do) is:

a) Replace the front two tyres

b) Get the bushings done

c) Get the tracking done

And pray that it sounds out the car veering to the left.

doesn't camber take it to the left?
do A and C

Thanks, I think I will go with replacing the front two just to be safe, get the bushes looked at, and if they are still an advisory then just leave them, and get the tracking done.

I think it's more than the camber. I've done over 500miles in it and even on the flattest of roads it pulls to the left quite strongly - I spend the entire journey correcting it.

It's really bad on the motorway. If I go above 60mph the car is pulling so much that it feels really unstable at the front if I push it up to 80mph.

Do A, and then get a full 4 wheel alignment done which should help correct the pulling to the left. Don't just get 'tracking' done as all they do is check the front wheels are parallel. When what you actually what done is to have the front toe, camber and castor checked and set correctly. They will also set the rear toe and camber if you have aftermarket adjustable tie bars. It makes sure a big difference just having the alignment setup correctly.