Cheers j4jon!

jesters3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Just been out in j4jon's S3.

He's got the DG Shortshift, B8/HR combo, HR ARB and Tie bars.

First impressions was the 'snick snick' nature of the gears, very short but manageble. Had to get used to it after my long throw of a gearbox, but after a while i'm sure you could use it well; i would be interested to see how it is after it has been remapped. :racer:

On to the Suspension. It didn't look as low as I thought it would be when side by side with my S3 on standard suspension. The ride was very compliant (the alcantara seats do hold you well) and the 25mm drop isn't noticed over the bumps and stuff. However on some roads we both know :)eyebrows:) it was impressive, through a little chicane it held very well and not wallowy as mine through it. You can turn in harder than that and get on the power earlier (yes Jon you did say) then in mine as the car feels very well footed. Even coming back the other way the steering felt more direct and easier to point and the car was much more fun to use rather than fighting it like you do in mine.

I have to say I was impressed with the setup on j4jon's S3 and I am tempted to get mine done. With my S3 at 163k my suspension is well overdue a change however I doubt I will go the B8 route more than likely the Weitec route, purely down on the drop (Weitec is 15mm compared to 25mm) and being half the cost.

That said the uprated ARBs on the car was sure footed and not wallowly with 25 up front and 23 at the rear compared to 19 and 17 it makes a heck of a difference and I think is a very sound mod to do especially to stop the wallowly ride. :yes:

So long and the short, the snick snick was interesting, the suspension was very very good and the saving has started...

Cheers j4jon :icon_thumright:

I'm glad you liked it.

Your right about the chicane although I would say its more of an 'S' bend. I know I was telling you to get on the power earlier as yesterday I went round the bends at about 60 compared to the 40 you did today so if you thought it was quick today.... Its interesting going form mine to yours to really see what a difference it has all made, as yours felt quite wallowy round the bends and not as sure footed on roads with lots of bumps.

Now onto your car.

I would first like to say thanks for letting me try it out with the custom code. The power delivery is soooo smooth, even compared to the standard map let alone the Jabba map I had on my old A3. You put your foot down and there is no real surge of torque just very smooth acceleration, then you look at the speed you are doing and realise it picks up speed without you noticing. I can see why people who have custom code are so at risk from loosing their license.

Just need to get the front mount and then a remap is a definate.

So all in all a good meet and I think we both learnt something about each others cars and the next mods on our own. All I can say to others is that a remap should be done to all cars, and I hope Jester agrees that the suspension needs uprating to get the best out of the S3.

I'm glad you liked it.
Your right about the chicane although I would say its more of an 'S' bend. I know I was telling you to get on the power earlier as yesterday I went round the bends at about 60 compared to the 40 you did today so if you thought it was quick today.... Its interesting going form mine to yours to really see what a difference it has all made, as yours felt quite wallowy round the bends and not as sure footed on roads with lots of bumps.

Fully agree, I went back along that road after work and mine was like a ship wallowing in the sea!!

Now onto your car.

I would first like to say thanks for letting me try it out with the custom code. The power delivery is soooo smooth, even compared to the standard map let alone the Jabba map I had on my old A3. You put your foot down and there is no real surge of torque just very smooth acceleration, then you look at the speed you are doing and realise it picks up speed without you noticing. I can see why people who have custom code are so at risk from loosing their license.

No worries, next time if you want, you can really boot it. But yes it is so smooth through the range and easily get you into trouble. With the torque I believe it is probably best on a motorway to appreciate it when overtaking or the like.

Just need to get the front mount and then a remap is a definate.

I take it you'll get a Stage 2 to maximise the remap? Will you be uprated the hoses?

So all in all a good meet and I think we both learnt something about each others cars and the next mods on our own. All I can say to others is that a remap should be done to all cars, and I hope Jester agrees that the suspension needs uprating to get the best out of the S3.
[/quote]

Yep fully agree the suspension should be uprated on the S3 the difference is tremendous and well worth the investment. Cheers again j4jon for the ride :thumbsup: