Aftermarket Sat Nav

antsS3

Reaction score
Hi there,

For anyone interested, I recently removed the Symphony II unit in my S3 and with the aid of a double DIN unit, mananged to have all formats (bar cassette!) in the car. Alpine CVA 1004 head unit with 6.5" screen (DAB tuner), multiregion DVD player (Hidden, but controlled via remote), Sony (Black Panel) MDLP Minidisc with 10 disc CD/MP3 in the rear where the Bose keeps itself. Any gaps were filled with a custom rubberised panel to match existing interior. Security wise, I was a little bothered having all this kit in the car so all panels can be removed at night and there is a wireless cam in the car separately monitoring it (in real time with a mobile) along with a custom clifford. Have attached some pics/vid. Any questions or comments are very welcome, this site is invaluable and easily one of the best forums I have come across. All involved should be proud!!

Ant

Reload your photo bud' that's a lotta ICE for a double DIN gap!

Hi there,

Have uploaded a avi file to illustrate. Hope this works, am having some difficulty loading the pics. Will try again later. Funny you should mention that 4Silver, started off just wanting MD capability in the S3, ended up having the whole lot as a mate fitted it and wasn't too pricey!

Hey Mo,

It is a Nokia Observation Camera (www.expansys.com) powered with a sealed lead acid battery as it usually runs off the mains but I didn't want a constant power drain off the car battery. It has IR and a motion sensor, when activated (via laptop or text messages from the mobile) it will automatically take and send a picture message (quality varies with phone but I have a V600 and it is very clear, even at night) to the mobile number registered, it will also send an email with the picture, time and temperature. I had some 2.4Ghz wireless cameras running off 9V battery (PP3) for a while placed in the rear headrests and in top centre console, in order to monitor these, I had an wireless reciever around the size of those little pocket TV's to monitor the car at night and within a mile of the car...sounds like overkill eh but I have had problems...

About a year ago, had many various thieving peeps try to steal everything from the car and mirrors to silly things like valve covers.Since then, I have a PIR and Floodlight that warns me in the flat audibly if someone is within a foot of the car along with prox sensor and have caught 3/4, the first two had broken fingers and wrists (there is no justification for violence even though it was (very) fun!) and pigs caught the 3rd, 4th ran off when I opened my window but I will get him.
All in all, the precautions have proved their worth and also protect two M3's, a Civic Type R, Celica GT4 and 911 GT3. Am not an expert but if you need some help in securing and monitoring it, I can point you in the right direction due to experience!

[ QUOTE ]
antsS3 said:
the first two had broken fingers and wrists (there is no justification for violence even though it was (very) fun!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you Ant - I agree about the violence bit, but sometimes it's your pride and joy and your property. Car thieves are the scum of the earth! Anyway your protection system sounds FANTASTIC! I love gizmos and gadgets, so would love to have a peak at some it! I couldn't get the attachments to work, ahve you posted pics and full descriptions anywhere else etc? All in all do you mind if I ask how much it cost? Or perhaps a breakdown!

Good stuff!

Recomendos,

I am a gadget freak, have loads more if you're interested, haven't posted details on other sites as I think it may kinda defeat the object of having all the security as it's not too common a car in my locality and it compromises my neighbours cars too.

Have attached the new pics now and another movie file. Thanks for the support with my incidents, I worked damn hard (as I imagine the majority of the members on here have) for the S3 and to see these people just try and damage my car made my blood boil, I'm a doorman by trade so they got off lightly...!

If you PM me, I can send you some any specific details of the system or even let you have a go on the mobile cam if you have a compatible mobile with picture messaging etc. If you need any other help or advice where to get stuff, just let me know.

Ant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Having some bother putting the pics on so will do it seperately....

Ants

ant fanx for the pics! as for the assholes trying to mess with a doorman (it shows just how stoopid they are! I certainly wouldn't mess..................mind you if I was like Neo from the Matrix and could just be programmed with some kung fu stylee knowledge - heh!)

in my last car I had a minidisc system and multichanger in the boot, in the a3 I have the standard stereo up front and 6 disc changer. I'd like to have a minidisc in again as I have a lot of material, but then what about MP3? hmmmmmmm although after watching that little movie all I can say is WOW I WANT 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEED 1 - HEH! even though in reality I probably don't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif perhaps if u pm me a rough idea of costings sometime and how hard it was to fit - no rush at the moment. but I think it looks cool as! oh I don't have a fone that does pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif........so much for me being a gadget freak eh? I'm just a wannabe!

good stuff though bud and fanx for the pics! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I'm having the same problem as you, have just bought a new a3 3.2 v6, collecting this wednesday.
I have a golf that has just had the alpine cva1004r sat nav unit taken out of it today and boxed ready to find a capable person to do the installation into the double dinn or dimm or what ever its called of the new A3
Where did you get the unit installed and where did you get the panel to surround the units?

Job looks good - its a good sat nav system, bit ******** if you loose the remote though

Richard

Looks good Ant, very interesting with regards to the cameras u have fitted, can u PM me some more details as whats what and specifics.
I fitted my sat nav just over a year ago and its great fun fitting it urself and even to this day its still impressive. have a look at some of the pics HERE

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I've got a an old P3 1.0GHZ laptop that I put in the glove box that is powered off a car charger. The laptop has got a SAT Nav module attached to it, and I then run the monitor out from the laptop to a screen in my dash, and have the sound running through my stereo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It's also got a DVD drive on it so I can do just about anything with it, and I've got an Alpine MP3 head unit that it's all driven through.

Thanks..

Trying to find one that allows customizable points of interest so that I can load this database in and plus it has to work on a laptop.

Tried out mapsonic so far, and its very good but doesn't allow me to load poi's and theres no postcode search so finding locations is a right bind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Another way of doing it for those of you with Pocket PC's, in my case a compaq ipaq. Fit it with a GPS sleeve (Emtac do a really good one), then use TomTom Navigator. Works extremely well and the benefit is that you can take it out of the car.

Today I fitted (well clamped a screen mount on and ran a wire to the fuse box!!) a Palm Tungsten T3 and the TomTom kit.

I got the T3 from a guy on the TT forum (only 6 months old) so the whole setup had only cost me £370 plus I get a PDA should I need it.

I works really well. If you go for the bluetooth version then you can also use it on your bike etc but I wanted the cheaper/more reliable wired version.

It's so easy to use that the Mrs set a route without any prompting from me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif