Just fitted a K&N panel filter!

Grant

Reaction score
Just to let you guys know that I have just fitted a K&N replacement panel filter (K&N p/n 33-2128) in my S3.

I took it for a test drive and have found the following:

<ul type="square">
[*]no increase in engine noise
[*]increased turbo spool noise
[*]increased noise from the DV
[*]increase in boost pressure
[*]increased throttle response
[/list]
So all in all, I am very pleased with it.

I'll let you known if/when I need to replace the MAF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Hello mate,

How much was the filter. Quite interested.

Regards,

Damian

[ QUOTE ]
leespears1 said:
arnt these panel filters by K&amp;N oil coated? wont this knacker the MAF?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, K&amp;N filters are oiled.

As for knackering the MAF sensor... I guess I'll find out soon enough!

I've run K&amp;N panel filter for 22,000 miles now in 2 different S3's and had no problems at all.

i recon thats next ont the shopping list then!

Cheers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

im guessing a little here but isnt it oiled induction kits which only cause the problems?

i had a foam one on my mk3 golf and it FUBAR'd the air sensor!

any oiled filter can do it. encloded panel, or open induction.

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
leespears1 said:
arnt these panel filters by K&amp;N oil coated? wont this knacker the MAF?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, K&amp;N filters are oiled.

As for knackering the MAF sensor... I guess I'll find out soon enough!

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair Play M8!

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
Just to let you guys know that I have just fitted a K&amp;N replacement panel filter (K&amp;N p/n 33-2128) in my S3.

<ul type="square">
[/list]

I'll let you known if/when I need to replace the MAF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you reckon your car feels more pokie with it, and how do you rate the sound of it after a few days?

Hiya!

How easy was the filter to fit, any tricky bits?

Ant

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
Just to let you guys know that I have just fitted a K&amp;N replacement panel filter (K&amp;N p/n 33-2128) in my S3.

<ul type="square">
[/list]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same as you, mate. Especially the noise from DV and increased in throttle response. I have used it for 3,000 miles now. No problem yet. It is a cheap but worthwhile option for someone who cant afford CAI.

I think I will find it out soon about MAF problem. Hope it will turn out to be just fine.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll let you known if/when I need to replace the MAF.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll have no issues with the oil coated panel filters - the design of the standard airbox won't allow your maf to become "oiled" Whereas a cone induction kit will. Have run a K&amp;N Panel filter on several VW/Audi/Porsche cars and never had a problem.

This upgrade is definitely more luck than judgement. You will find a number of members who have had problems with oiled filters such as the K&amp;N and they probably outweigh those who haven't by a significant margin.

The simple fact here is the oil from the filter will be drawn off by the air passing through and this will contaminate the hot wire in the MAF. The factor is how much oil is on the filter when it is purchased - hence the luck side.

All the tests on the K&amp;N have not revealed any gains and I would suggest that those experienced in the thread are subjective to the point that the filter has been changed so something will be different (along the same lines as why does a clean car appear to go better than a dirty one).

I fitted a K&amp;N on my last S3 and thought it made a difference until I checked my consumption (at the pump not through DIS) then the MAF started playing up and it cost me more readies to get a new MAF and out went the K&amp;N (cleaning the MAF isn't the perfect answer) and on the latest S3 I just haven't bothered, it is not worth the hassle for very little gain if any.

whats wrong with cleaning the maf, any problems?

just a thought if your car is still under warrantee fit a k&amp;n keep the old filter if your MAF packs up put the old filter back in then to the dealer to get your MAF changed
euro car parts sell k&amp;n's all A3 and S3 £35

[ QUOTE ]
nicks3 said:
whats wrong with cleaning the maf, any problems?

[/ QUOTE ]

I found that once the MAF started to play up, cleaning it using most of the methods recommended just didn't seems to get it back to normal, replacing it did. So I draw the conclusion that cleaning doesn't give you a guaranteed result.

i was told the maf can't be cleaned.
I fitted the k&amp;n 15000 miles ago and have just had my maf replaced. common fault they said, "here's an exchange"
whether or not it was the k&amp;n to blame remains to be seen. I think to play safe i will put the original panel back` in!
mike

I Just changed mine (standard one) which cost me £6 from the dealers!

Didn't take long - around 20 mins as its my first time on a S3!

The old one was hanging! Hopefully I should notce a difference in mpg!

i replace my OEM paper filter every 10K or less. for the price it isnt worth waiting for audi to replace it, as its not changed to the second AVS service wich could be 4 yrs /nearly 40k miles.

I researched this several years ago when I had an A4 1.8Tq.
Despite finding no hard evidence in favour of the K&amp;N (PLENTY of "ra ra its fantastic" comments) and some hard evidence that it made no difference to performance, I went ahead and put one in anyway.

And guess what.
NO difference in performance!

NO surprises there. We always imagine an upgrade will benefit performance but how many objectively measure before and after. Thlouder induction noise I can confirm and if you feel that helps go for it.

me? prefer not to risk the MAF thing and save my time and money.

Cheers

WHY JUST FILTER? why not go full intake pipe? this will give you much more saticfaction. check out neuspeed's web site. they currently have a very good intake system. also look for ITG

did you use VAG-COM to log the increase in boost pressure? if so did you also try the air flow rate code, to see if flow rate had increased.

If you did what where the original and incresed figures.

Mark

I spoke to AmD asking for their advice on after market air filters and they told me not to bother!

Saved me some money! They said the standard paper filter is up for the job.

[ QUOTE ]
NWMark said:
did you use VAG-COM to log the increase in boost pressure? if so did you also try the air flow rate code, to see if flow rate had increased.

If you did what where the original and incresed figures.

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't have VAG-COM but I do have a boost gauge which is why I know the boost pressure has increased slightly.