coilover question

cyuen

Reaction score
Website
www.schnell-motorwerke.com
coilovers on, some questions

there are a bit of rattle n knockin noises from the rear and front left when goin over bumps or uneven surface, what causes that? (note: car ride height not correct, basically slap them on n go back to garage in the mornin to get it right)

1) could this be due to uneven ride height
2) could this be so call "running in"

The rattle sound more like when the car leave the ground (due to the bump) and the springs didnt come up with it, n the car landed on it.... i hope you kind of get what i mean, bascially sound like loose spring (the spring came with the kti look really really small compare to OEM or even after market spring set)

[ QUOTE ]
cyuen said:
coilovers on, some questions

there are a bit of rattle n knockin noises from the rear and front left when goin over bumps or uneven surface, what causes that? (note: car ride height not correct, basically slap them on n go back to garage in the mornin to get it right)

1) could this be due to uneven ride height
2) could this be so call "running in"

The rattle sound more like when the car leave the ground (due to the bump) and the springs didnt come up with it, n the car landed on it.... i hope you kind of get what i mean, bascially sound like loose spring (the spring came with the kti look really really small compare to OEM or even after market spring set)

[/ QUOTE ]

Was the spring loose on them? I mean were they wound up enough so that the spring was tensioned!?

What kind of knocking? Could it be a creaking worn bushing?

Rich

I know when i rplaced my brakes, they creaked for a few miles whils the brackets and callipe seated properly...maybe this is happening or something similar?

Rich

"Was the spring loose on them? I mean were they wound up enough so that the spring was tensioned!?"

Rich mind explainin the tension part? basically i think the garage just chuck the springs on straight out of the box

Also, i think the setting now is MAX high, maybe its just jumpin around a little bit due to the massive clearance (this is referring to hte back)

Front, looks fine, but the black plastic caps of the strut tower doesn't really fit anymore ahha

[ QUOTE ]
cyuen said:
"Was the spring loose on them? I mean were they wound up enough so that the spring was tensioned!?"

Rich mind explainin the tension part? basically i think the garage just chuck the springs on straight out of the box

Also, i think the setting now is MAX high, maybe its just jumpin around a little bit due to the massive clearance (this is referring to hte back)

Front, looks fine, but the black plastic caps of the strut tower doesn't really fit anymore ahha

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean are the springs compressed still on full extension? If not, this could be your noise. Although im not sure if yuo can have them that loose.

Rich