Quattro Rear Vibration Noise...

faaaaast

Reaction score
Guys,

Just test-driven a nice looking A3 Quattro. I noticed it had had all new rear coil springs, drive shafts, bearings and arms very recently (at an Audi dealer). Is this common, or something I should suspect something like crash damage?

There was a funny low frequency vibration when speeding up/slowing down through a certain speed range (I don't think rev. range). Sounded near the rear, like a boomy aftermarket exhaust had been fitted, but the exhaust was standard. Could this be related to the rear work? Any experience with this? Obviously I don't want it to be a Haldex or rear diff prob, etc...

TCS and ABS lights were on intermittently, VAG-COM showed a faulty brake light switch and 'incorrect coding' of the ABS control unit (eh?!) anyone know the significance of 'incorrect coding'?

Anything else common to watch out for (had the roof corrosion, but he's dropping price enough for me to get this done properly)...

Cheers :beerchug:

Christ that all sounds extremley expensive. Suggest you leave well alone. Your getting multiple errors that could mean sensor changes and maybe a dodgy control unit, what you suspect as accident damage, roof corrosion and an odd vibration from the rear of the car after the cars had all that replaced! Probably the reason its going so cheap!

Christ that all sounds extremley expensive. Suggest you leave well alone. Your getting multiple errors that could mean sensor changes and maybe a dodgy control unit, what you suspect as accident damage, roof corrosion and an odd vibration from the rear of the car after the cars had all that replaced! Probably the reason its going so cheap!

Oh dear, such a lovely tidy car apart from this though. Well, it ain't exactly cheap, though, but I have to say I'm a little suspicious - why spend this much money on rear suspension, new alloys, etc. and then sell the car a couple of months later, that's what's ringing alarm bells with me?

I went over it very carefully though and can't see any signs of a rear end on the bodywork at all... but suspect possible rear diff prob from that vibration?

James

Ahh well if its ringing alarm bells I'd stay clear, it shouldnt be difficult to find a decent model nowadays. Like you say why have all that work done then sell it?
If your really interested though take a VAGCOM along and plug it in after a test drive plus check over the rear quarter panels for filler.

whats the mileage of the car ? could be very expensive if the abs modulators gone

Only done 66k miles. I've VAG-COM'd it already which is how I know about the ABS/TCS fault. There's just something not quite right. My guess is that the vibration is either a propshaft bearing, or a rear diff mechanical problem, or the Haldex is shagged. Either way a pretty expensive repair.

There are other cars out there, but you'd be surprised the trouble I've had finding a clean one!:search: