HELP - shocks, suspension gone ?? long clang from front

roydonaldson

Reaction score
Hi there,

Nightmare, reversed out the drive this morning and as I turned the wheel I heard this long clang come from the front passenger side of the car. driving the car slowly, when it went over bumps, I could hear a large metal on metal dropping noise. When cornering at slow speeds, I can hear a clang, pinging type noise loudly coming from the front passenger side of the car.

Any ideas on what this could be ? Car's 5 1/2 years old and had virtually nothing wrong with it since day one, so am a bit worried ?

Thanks,
Roy.

Had a peek, but if I turn the steering wheel all the way round it makes a real racket. Couldn't see much, but as I'm no expert in suspension etc. was not too sure what I should be looking for :-(

a trip to the garage mate...soz but you don't want that failing at speed. good luck..

I suggest you get a mechanic to look at it if you are no familiar with this type of thing, i'm guessing it could be a snapped coil spring up front, is the car sitting level on both side?

I'd have said coil spring. I have a full set of S3 suspension from a 2002 S3 that had covered 40k. PM me if interested.

o/s front coil spring snapped at the top, car's got 66k miles on it, so not too bad. Aky thanks for the offer, getting 2 new ones from a for audi in Glasgow, 50 quid a side.

Roy.

Thanks for updating us. I had a pug a while back..lol. Both springs snapped at the same time whilst turning and the whole front suspension went.