s3 stereo

S3mad

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Hi all ,

what stereo do you have in your car ?,

i have the stereo with no cd . Can i replace with my kenwood stereo easy and would it work just like the audi stereo its a pre face model . I just dont want to ruin the set up as the sound quality is great !

The sound quality is great? Are you sure you have an Audi system?
If you're happy with it then I'd just replace the Concert 1 with a Concert 2 or simply buy a changer off ebay (making sure you have the cable in the boot first).
Going aftermarket is not as simple as it should be, you need a number of adapters, facia plates, antenna amp adapter, and if you have the Bose system then you can get all sorts of wierd problems.

i really wanted to just change it with a kenwood unit what would i need for this and would everything work like the amp and subs of the bose system ?

The sound quality is great? Are you sure you have an Audi system?
If you're happy with it then I'd just replace the Concert 1 with a Concert 2 or simply buy a changer off ebay (making sure you have the cable in the boot first).
Going aftermarket is not as simple as it should be, you need a number of adapters, facia plates, antenna amp adapter, and if you have the Bose system then you can get all sorts of wierd problems.

Why?
You will get all sorts of issues as it's a Bose system, the main one being loud "popping" from the speakers when you change source or CD track. If you don't need any additional features like mp3 support then why would you not just add a changer?
£70 plug & play job done.

I would agree with Andy. i have first hand experience of the pain in the ar*e that playing wih the Bose system brings!!

That sounds great i had a cd changer in the back a 6 disc one but its dead it doesnt do anything ? What are these phatbox"s like ??

Why?
You will get all sorts of issues as it's a Bose system, the main one being loud "popping" from the speakers when you change source or CD track. If you don't need any additional features like mp3 support then why would you not just add a changer?
£70 plug & play job done.

The other gadget to try is an xCarLink. Takes an SD card or USB stick full of MP3s, and pretends to be a changer, or it has a socket for an ipod/mp3 player.

I got one of eBay a while back, stuck it in the glovebox, with a small hole cut in the back to get the cable through, and it works a treat. Obviously no track info, and you are limited to 6 'discs' each with max 100 tracks, but hey, it's <£50..., and you can even get one with a bluetooth module for your phone, although I have not tried it.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items?_nkw=xcarlink+audi

or if you prefer a UK shop, but don't mind paying a little more

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/home.php?cat=4

There is also a installation guide on there too.

Cheers,

that looks ok but a harddrive looks better....

The other gadget to try is an xCarLink. Takes an SD card or USB stick full of MP3s, and pretends to be a changer, or it has a socket for an ipod/mp3 player.

I got one of eBay a while back, stuck it in the glovebox, with a small hole cut in the back to get the cable through, and it works a treat. Obviously no track info, and you are limited to 6 'discs' each with max 100 tracks, but hey, it's <£50..., and you can even get one with a bluetooth module for your phone, although I have not tried it.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items?_nkw=xcarlink+audi

or if you prefer a UK shop, but don't mind paying a little more

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/home.php?cat=4

There is also a installation guide on there too.

Cheers,

that looks ok but a harddrive looks better....

Really? Less reliable (especially in the bounce around world of an S3!!), a larger device that will do exactly the same job, and will display exactly the same on the HU as the xCarLink? TO load new tracks, you either have to have multiple docks for your PC (expensive), or only do it at home.

Fair enough...

Is it easy enough to set this up ?

Really? Less reliable (especially in the bounce around world of an S3!!), a larger device that will do exactly the same job, and will display exactly the same on the HU as the xCarLink? TO load new tracks, you either have to have multiple docks for your PC (expensive), or only do it at home.

Fair enough...

haha alijames's sig reveals the enthusiasm for xCarLink. That thing is designed for cars, so I wouldnt worry about vibration. It uses a notebook drive which is more resistant to vibrations than other drives and to be honest if you can put music on an iPod you can put it on that. From what I've heard supposedly high quality as well with a high signal to noise ratio.