Why does the car turns off when...

abdus

Top Gear
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
.......aircon is switched on on idle.

The revs start to drop and then car turns off.

I have run vagcom and there is no fault codes.

Any help please.

Thanks

There is an idle speed compensator for the load placed by the AC compressor. Its clearly not working.

in the car:lmfao:

sorry i have no idea

FAIL....

should be in the engine compartment
emotlol_21.gif

When the aircon is switched on the ECU logs the change. Idle should be increased via the throttle body. If that isn't occuring, either the throttle body requires cleaning an re-aligning or you have a vacuum leak.

Is your idle at all lumpy when the AC is off? Idle can be adjusted to raise it a little. Not sure if there is a separate idle setting for when AC is on, probably not.

When the aircon is switched on the ECU logs the change. Idle should be increased via the throttle body. If that isn't occuring, either the throttle body requires cleaning an re-aligning or you have a vacuum leak.

Is your idle at all lumpy when the AC is off? Idle can be adjusted to raise it a little. Not sure if there is a separate idle setting for when AC is on, probably not.

Whilst on this subject, don't suppose you know if a 1.9 PD diesel motor has the same sort of thing? I'm having issues similar with my Passat.

Thanks.

idle is perfect when aircon is off.

it only happens when aircon is on and some random times, it doesn't do it at all.

I followed steps regarding throttle body re-alignment on vag-com, it said all was fine ADP OK etc...

Whilst on this subject, don't suppose you know if a 1.9 PD diesel motor has the same sort of thing? I'm having issues similar with my Passat.

Thanks.

Yes, if i remember correctly, there is a throttle bypass valve which opens and controls the idle speed, it get shitted up and needs cleaning out.
I may be thinking of another engine, maybe someone with EKTA installed can look at the intake diagram and confirm?