S3 Engine Whats Where in Pictures?

S3 Chris

Reaction score
Not being very technical I dont know my DV from my MAF. Basically I dunno whats what under my bonnet (Well OK I know which is my DV......just! :idea:).
Are there any pictures/diagrams kicking about that show what is located where. Pretty basic I know, sorry guys :crying:

Had a search through the forums but with not too much luck, Ive only found a picture of where the N75 valve is. So I was wondering if there are any pics or diagrams out there that identify the commonly changed parts that are talked about in this forum quite often such as the MAF, TIP, N249 Valve, O2 Sensor, Oil Breather, EVAP Canister, Vaccuum hoses, etc etc etc.

I could always take a pic of my engine bay and some kind soul could draw a few arrows and names on it?!

Also Ive just installed elsawin but not attempted to use it yet - but perhaps this contains some diagrams etc that may enlighten me?

Cheers in advance

Check out Wak-tt.com website, there is loads of good information to use: http://www.wak-tt.com/mods/engine.htm

Also for a picture of a 1.8T Engine:
18t.jpg

*another noob question* is the N249 valve simply the diverter valve?

The divertor valve can be found just under the back right corner of the engine cover on the S3 (big thing, small tube going into the top and two bigger tubes). It's not the N249 or N75, those are both little valves on various parts of the vacuum / boost system.

This thread saved me making my own topic..

here's a question for you..

what is the plug connector seen in the below image!? (right hand side at the front (as you look into the bay) near the headlight housing)

b9e9f91b.jpg

Upon investigation earlier, I noticed it wasn't connected to anything..?!

Also, I have a split/hole in a hose (breather pipe?)

e1f377be.jpg

This needs replacing, obviously. But will it be doing any damage for now? The car does smell rich at the minute, could this be as of result of the split?!

its the headlight levelling motor connector which is actually right next to your hand, it pushes into that plastic squarish thing with rounded side so feel underneath & you will feel a socket etc for it to plug into & yes the split would make a difference overall given pipe location is obviously linked to airbox/turbo/valves location & most times one of these pipes splits it affects cars overall usability mate, tape it with duck tape, it also looks very flat aswell, you sure it hasnt or isnt been squeezed flat while under hood?

headlight levelling motor connector

ah! sorry, I didn't make myself very clear. I knew it was to plug into the seen socket, just I wasn't sure what I had been 'missing out' on! (as it wasn't plugged in!)

The pipe.. now.. this is an interesting one. The car was into Quattronics early June for a quick looking over.. one or two issues arose, and a couple of pipes were replaced. I'm sure this was one of them (not a new pipe by any means, just, a 'spare' for the mean time.) It is very squeezy and needs replacing. But for now if I duct tape the hole I will get by?

Thank you.

The wire has probably been disconnected because they don't self level properly so you might not want to re-connect that if you can see okay at the moment.

I can't quite picture which pipe that is without going and having a look, any other photos?

Can someone please confirm that the connector is infact the headlight levelling socket?

The reason I ask, as on the way to workt his morning (before being sent home, ill) I gave the screen a blitz with the squirters.. Now, it was hesisitant to fire, and when it did, it misted very much so, only after a few seconds and retries did it 'squirt' as it usuall would. Thought nothing more of it..

However, when I got to work, I noticed the bonnet/lights were soaked. Hey! I have headlight washers!! (now I know all S3's have the cutout section in the bumper, but I never knew I actually had them. They were there as dummies, if the car hadn't actually got them or not) And I can't so much say that until I recconected that plug, I ever noticed them.

Chances are it's just fluke, and it is the headlight adjustments, either way though.. thanks for the input! :)

The pipe is just underneath the big Audi engine cover. To the right hand side of the head, next to the intake pipe/airbox?!

The pipe is coming off the TIP and is to do with your ESP, i have the same dodgy pipe, for price and parts check out here http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=58197

I have had the pipe as it is for quite a while ( I know I know should have changed it earlier) with no DTCs, Oil loss, Boost loss or anything and the brakes still work fine as does the ESP - even so get it sorted.

Jester I can't work out which of the part-numbers on the diagram the offending pipe work is?!

I have noticed a bit of an oil loss if I'm honest, so I must now be careful.